Throttle Lever

McB

Threads
I have a honda HRT2162TDA, the throttle lever does not to decrease engine speed in the slow position it seems to cause engine to stall.

Capture.JPG

Are the high and low speed set screws adjustable?
Carbs.JPG

Anything I should do before I do this, Honda and Kohler do not make carburetor access easy!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Older ones are newer ones are not.
However if the mower has suddenly gone bad, then it will not be a problem with the adjustments.
When a carb is going out of adjustment, it happens slowly over time.

Have a good look at the governor spring, I will guess that it is hanging up on something.
The anchor point at the other end of the throttle cable could also be loose.

Get down and try to move the throttle lever by hand.
If the engine can throttle up & down quite OK when manipulating the lever by hand then the carb is fine & the problem is in the controls.
And of course the inverse applies.
A lot of damage to perfectly good carbs is done by people "fixing" ones that were not broken.

McB

Threads
Thanks and that has been done. Since the mower is not mine I am trying fix a symptom the neighbor reported. I might try just cleaning the carb and see what happens. Its over 20 years old but runs very strong. Good compression,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually the best thing is to find the problem before you try & fix it.
I get countless mowers coming through the gate where the owner attempted to "fix' a problem that was not there and in doing so buggered up the process.
Every one seems to be fixated with carburettors and ripping them apart, very often destroying the main jet in the process.
Much like changing the oil.
That will not make an engine that does not start, suddenly run, ( unless the level was low & the engine ha a low oil cut out ) .
Yet every second "my mower won't go " has a line where they have changed the oil and it still won't start.