Oil Drain Hose

jetsticks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I just purchased a used 48" Hustler Sport ZTR and need to change the oil. It looks like I'm missing the oil drain hose (part 104786). Do I actually need that hose or can I just buy a rubber hose with the same inside diameter to use instead? If so, does anyone know what the inside diameter is?

Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It should be something rated for temperature, like a hydraulic hose. You don't want it to break or you'll lose all your engine oil and maybe your engine, too.

jetsticks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I’m not going to use it for anything other than drain the old oil out so I’m not sure what you mean by damaging my engine.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some engines now have integrated permanent drain hoses with a hand-twist fitting. I have a silicone hose that I slip over the drain fitting on my older Kawasaki engines. I don't know the diameter but I use silicone because it's so flexible and easy to slip on.

jetsticks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update for those that may have the same issue:

I bought a flexible hose with an inside diameter of 1/2". I got 10' of it for $5 at The Home Depot. I cut it down to about 18" as that was all I needed and it fit snuggly over the port and worked like a charm. Make sure it's a flexible hose because one that is not will not fit over the port.

iclick

Threads
My old Craftsman ZT (circa 2007) had a permanent drain hose, but my new Raptor has a very thin plastic or silicone hose about 12" long and ½" ID that's not intended to remain on the engine after an oil change is completed. Once the valve is closed it wouldn't matter if the hose was kept on the engine or not, as no leakage would occur. I would think any flexible plastic hose with ½" ID would work fine. Since it's best to warm the engine prior to changing the oil it should also have some heat resistance.

Kremeneon

Threads
That black milkshake straw they give you with the mower is useless. I grabbed some 1/2" clear tubing I had laying around and it works perfectly to drain oil.