My Briggs TWIN II 16HP vertical shaft engine will not stay running

Threads
  • / My Briggs TWIN II 16HP vertical shaft engine will not stay running
Hi all,

I have a 16 horse power v twin engine model: 402777 that I have put many parts and hours into but will still not run! The specific details are; I choke the engine to start, but have to leave the choke on to keep running. After running for 2 to 2.5 minuets or less sometimes the engine dies but will start back up and repeat the same process.

I have replaced the the fuel lines & filter, ran heat moisture remover through the fuel system, thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and fuel pump, and finally replaced both head gaskets. I have checked both coils with a spark tested to make sure there is spark until it dies, confirmed working. I am at a complete loss here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 16 horse power v twin engine model: 402777 that I have put many parts and hours into but will still not run! The specific details are; I choke the engine to start, but have to leave the choke on to keep running. After running for 2 to 2.5 minuets or less sometimes the engine dies but will start back up and repeat the same process.

I have replaced the the fuel lines & filter, ran heat moisture remover through the fuel system, thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and fuel pump, and finally replaced both head gaskets. I have checked both coils with a spark tested to make sure there is spark until it dies, confirmed working. I am at a complete loss here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well a 402777 does not have 2 coils, I guess you mean both plug leads. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Did you try choking it as it was dying? Remove the air cleaner and place your hand over the carb throat as it starts to die? Also try it with the air cleaner off. There is a llittle vent hole in the top outer edge of the carb be sure gasket is not obstructing it. No luck? I would rig a temporary fuel tank mounted above the carb to see if it is a fuel pump problem.

Walt Conner

Threads
Yes, I tested both leads sorry not "coils," and it is on choke the whole time even when it dies. I will try both of the tips you provided me with "Tinkerer200." Thank you

Tinkerer200

Threads
Yes, I tested both leads sorry not "coils," and it is on choke the whole time even when it dies. I will try both of the tips you provided me with "Tinkerer200." Thank you

IF the choke is on the full time then you have a serious carb OR fuel pump problem. The elevated temp tank will help determine if it is the fuel pump. As you face the carb side of the engine, look on the lower right hand side of the carb. There will be a hex head plug sticking up and out at an angle. This covers the main metering jet. Remove the plug and plow compressed air in there. Might even remove the main jet and make sure it is clear. Complete cleaning the carb may be needed. Before complete cleaning, I would remove the top of the float chamber and check for water and crude in it. Be very careful not to damage the gasket as they are generally only available in complete carb rebuild kit. IF you do get rebuild kit, pay careful attention to using the correct bowl gasket as there are 3 slightly different ones.

Walt Conner

Threads
FIXED!!!

I forgot to clean the main jet under the drain plug! Thanks for all the help!!!