S = starter
M = magneto
G = ground
L = Lights
A = Alternator

larrye44

Threads
Thanks, bertsmobile1.

I found the small letters on the back of the new ignition switch I bought.

I'm still not clear on how to do what Rivets told me. "You will have to trace the voltage from the large terminal on the solenoid, to the switch, (B terminal) through the switch (S terminal), through the safety switches, to the small terminal on the solenoid."

Where do I put the voltage meter leads to check this path out? :confused2:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to this web site and search for switch #9655. I know it says John Deere, but it is the same as your switch, which is part number 500017. You will see which terminals I am talking about. There are two ways I do the tests I described, using either a VOM or a test light. Connect the negative lead of the VOM or test light lead to a good ground. The positive lead or test light probe will be used to trace electrical flow. A good jump lead and an assistant will also be an asset to your project. Hope this help, or post back and I’ll try to describe it another way.https://www.rotarycorp.com/

larrye44

Threads
I took the plug off of the ignition switch and found the location for the terminals. I connected a good negative lead on VOM and inserted the positive lead of the VOM to each terminal and there is no electrical flow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will need to trace the plug wire, which connects to the B terminal of the switch, back to the battery. It is usually connected to the large terminal on the solenoid which goes back to the battery. Most times this small wire has a fuse in it, which may be bad.

larrye44

Threads
I originally told you the fuses were good, not so. I had bought a new fuse for the blue (battery wire) and thought it was good. I tested it again with continuity on my VOM and there is no continuity.

Should I have disconnected the battery when I installed the fuse originally? I may have ruined the new fuse.

Where can I get a replacement fuse on the internet? I bought the fuse when I bought the new ignition switch at my dealer and he is about 35 miles from me.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the fuse to any auto parts store, possibly auto repair shop, implement dealer, and even many BIG BOX outlets. Should be a common fuse, but take it along to match it up. There should be no reason to disconnect the battery, just turn off the key. If it immediately blows you now have a short to find, might want to buy an extra or two.

larrye44

Threads
Thanks so much Rivets.

I'll post back if there is a problem. I live out in the country and may have to wait until I can make the trip to the next little town over to see the dealer.

This doesn't look like a fuse I have every seen at a parts store.

IMG_2225.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct and I’m wrong about where to get one. I’ve never seen a fuse like that, must be a Dixie proprietary part. Sorry about the last post.

larrye44

Threads
Thanks Rivets, you have been a great help and have taught me a lot about how to check a circuit. For that I am very grateful.

I have called my dealer in the next town over and he said he will mail me the new fuse.

Folks like me are very lucky we have men like you that are willing to go out of their way to help others. It means a lot to me.

I will let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Larry