No longer starts on first pull

Bean438

Threads
My mower used to,start on one pull. It no longer does. Usually takes about 5-6 pulls. If it’s been running a while, it starts one pull.

What can I do to get a one pull start again?

There’s no choke, and no throttle.

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Willing to bet that the float seat has swelled up changing, lowering, the level of fuel in the carb bowl. Simple fix, need to clean and rebuild carb with kit number 631021B. If you need instructions post back with the numbers off the engine and I will tell you how I rebuild these carbs all sommer long. Have already done a half dozen this year and we still have snow on the ground.

Bean438

Threads
I’m at work right now and will post back with the engine numbers.

As for the rebuild kit, can I safely order the one you listed? Are the carbs the same for all Tecumseh mowers?

Would it be worthwhile just replacing the carb?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hard to say without knowing what you have. But the carb is likely full of crud, and needs a good cleaning.
Post you engine's numbers. Might be able to just pull off the bowl nut, let some crud dribble out, and clean the orifices in the nut.
And re-assemble...

Bean438

Threads
Actually last spring I dropped the bowl, cleaned it out, and sprayed carb cleaner underneath. I did this because I forgot to drain the fuel for storage.

Anyways it still started but just not on the first pull. It’s been like that for at least 5 years now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once I have the numbers I’ll be able to double check the kit. 95% of the Tecumseh carbs on mowers use the kit I posted. Cost is about $5.00.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just again,
pull the bottom nut/jet, clean out all of the tiny holes in it, let all of that bad fuel drain out.

Put the nut back in and try to start.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just again,
pull the bottom nut/jet, clean out all of the tiny holes in it, let all of that bad fuel drain out.

Well, after re-filling with fresh fuel.....

Bean438

Threads
Just again,

Did that. Still takes a few pulls.

Bean438

Threads
Ok, mower model number is 944.369450 and engine number is 143.996006.

So would I just need the “kit” you suggested?

What about o rings “632547”? I saw a guy replace two of those in some kind of tube that he popped out of a carb. It was from the emulsion tube. They are 4 bucks each.