No longer starts on first pull

Bean438

Threads
Ok so..... snowblower and mower carbs were stripped down, soaked in berrymans cleaner, and ultrasonic cleaned.
Blower was rebuilt with a carb kit and I’m happy to report it’s as good as new.

However..... the when reassembling the mower carb, I snapped the emulsion tube. While awaiting Tecumseh parts I ordered a cheapo amazon carb.

It arrived to day and I installed it. The mower now starts, BUT it now runs for about 10 seconds and quits.

Pretty disappointed as I traded one problem for another.

Just wondering what the problem could be? Bad carb from eBay?

I’d also like to point out during disassembly I discovered the intake pipe was broken and just being held on by screws. A new one is on order but I figured I’d try to piece it together.

Could the cracked intake pipe be the culprit now?

I’m almost 6 hours into this now, plus parts and I’m very close to just buying a New mower and just use trufuel or aspen fuel to prevent future problems.

Bean438

Threads
Forgot to add that the fuel tank was cleaned out, and fuel line replaced as well. Ethonal free aspen fuel is in the tank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any hole that air can get in after the main jet has atomised the correct amount of air for the air that has passed over it will of course make the engine run lean.
At start up the mix is very often very rich to aid easy starting so for a minute or so it will be normal then the leaking air will lean out the engine and it will run bad or not at all.

Bean438

Threads
So it’s basically the intake pipe that’s the issue. I guess it was cracked, but still sealed. When I removed it , it was unable to be re sealed.

My dilemma is that this intake pipe is out of stock everywhere until May 1-9.

Is it possible to have it welded? What about permetek gasket maker?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is cracked it is not sealed.
Not familiar with that engine but the alloy or plastic Briggs ones can be welded or gooed ( JB weld etc ) with some success although an form of goop will only be temporary.
The B & S ones crack all the time, plus come loose at the engine end strip the threads etc and suck air.
Some engines had obviously been doing it for years by the state of the intake.

Bean438

Threads
Alright, just to update this for all those who helped, and also future people with similar issues....

Today I received the new intake pipe. 10 bucks from eBay and it’s oem. I’m happy to report that the mower starts up just fine and keeps on going!

So in the end it was basically a carb clean/rebuild, and new intake pipe that I didn’t know was cracked.

But, I noticed that when I tip the mower on its side (to instal the carb) that oil seeps from where the filler tube enters the engine. I took the shroud, etc all apart and gave everything a good cleaning. The filler tube are off with the shroud. Did I maybe lose a gasket or something, or will oil leak from this area when tipped on its side?

I’ve drained oil in the past and dont remember oil seepage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without checking the parts diagram.
There is generally an O ring on the tube or a gasket at the face.
The O ring is a service replacement part
The asket require the tube to be pushed down when tightening the retaining bolt .Usually there is a slot in there for adjustment.

Bean438

Threads
Just checked the manual. There is in fact an o ring. I don’t recall one popping out but I know for a fact I did not “push down “ on the assembly while reinstalling. I’ll loosen the bolts and push down before tightening. Hopefully the tube is simply not seated deep enough into the o ring.

Bean438

Threads
Problem solved. When I took the shroud thing off I assumed that the dip stick tube was attached with it. I didn’t realize there was a separate bolt, (and adjustment slot) for the tip tube.

I guess when I reinstalled the assembly I pushed the o ring (kinda weird flat o ring ) off kilter and it was on a diagonal.

I reseated everything, and put some weight on the tube for the tightening.

No oil seepage. Mower starts, and runs as fine as she did 21 years ago!

This site is awesome. Thanks for all the help!

Now I don’t need to buy a brand new beautiful recycler, lol