No longer starts on first pull

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I used ABOUT a 1/10 ratio, although to be honest I’ve never really measured it. Only problem that I’ve seen is when I use a very hot solution and too long of a bath, aluminum carbs turn black. Not a big deal unless you are a looks guy.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I worried about fixing every piece of equipment I have that doesn't start on the first pull I'd never get anything else done...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I use a substantially weaker solution but it is really trial & error.
My parts wholesalers both do ultrasonic cleaning solutions however both are too corrosive for my liking.
If I dont rip them out the instant the machine stopped aluminium & zinc parts get a dark hydroxil coating which is difficult to remove and looks bad.
It forms an all expose surfaces including all the internal passageways which is a bugger on cube carbs.
I have an attention span slightly longer than a goldfish in a bowl so generally will have a dozen things happening at once.
So the experiment with the cleaner started till I found some thing that suits me & the way I work.
We are about to convert a laundry tub into an ultrasonic tank that will run with kerrosene for really greasy parts.

For small parts I found a tea infuser was the bee knees so I have several in different sizes

Bean438

Threads
If I worried about fixing every piece of equipment I have that doesn't start on the first pull I'd never get anything else done...

Well it’s only one piece that won’t start on the first pull and I’m re doing my snowblower carb so why not?

Bean438

Threads
Sounds like ultrasonic is not a good thing then? Or is it?

What about Welch plugs? My carb kit came with new plugs. Worth swapping out or not?

Take them out before ultrasonic?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said in my procedure your can give a good 24 hour soak or ultrasonic cleaner. Either will work. If you have new welch plugs, I would remove old ones, clean carb and install the new ones. The service manual should show you how to do this.

tadawson

Threads
Definitely pull the welch plugs and clean the passages behind them! It's far too trivial a process not to . . . And for Ultrasonic, I'd break the carb down as far as possible before running it.

Bean438

Threads
Any thoughts of just buying an Oregon carb off amazon for 37 bucks? Add up 12 for the carb kit, and 30 for a carb soak, or 80 for an ultrasonic cleaner AST cheaper to just put a new carb.

But, more satisfaction fix g it yourself.

I’ve watched a lot of donnyboy’s (small engine repair guy) you tube videos. He has one on replacing Welch plugs it looks pretty easy.

I just figure I have them so why not? Same with the emulsion o rings idle screw o ring.

tadawson

Threads
In 40+ years, I have not found a single carb on which a kit and a can of $5.99 cleaner and a few wire scraps to run orifices was not enough. Myself, unless it has been smashed with a hammer, I feel the original will always be the best option . . .