Briggs and Stratton, Endurance Series engine, 20.0 656 CC

sulli

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton, Endurance Series engine, 20.0 656 CC
I have just 80 hours on the above mentioned B and S engine but it is out of warrantee and it looses power when I engage the mowing deck. There is no sputtering just no power. I have had it in the shop but they would rather spend their time selling mowers. What can I do to find the problem?

Romore

Threads
What are the engine numbers? They will be stamped into the valve cover. Ignore the family numbers on the sticker, they are meaningless for our purposes. The dealer's attitude seems strange, there are better profit margins in service than new unit sales.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine then remove each spark plug one at a time
If the engine stops, or just barely runs with one wire off and makes no difference with the other wire off, the cylinder where removing the spark plug wire made no difference is deceased.
Do that then come back with your results.
Also the full engine model & code number so we can check we are giving you the correct information.

sulli

Forum Newbie
Threads
Start the engine then remove each spark plug one at a time
If the engine stops, or just barely runs with one wire off and makes no difference with the other wire off, the cylinder where removing the spark plug wire made no difference is deceased.
Do that then come back with your results.
Also the full engine model & code number so we can check we are giving you the correct information.

I tried removing each plug wire one at a time. Each time the engine began to run rough but continued dot run. The Engine Numbers you asked for are:

Model 405877

Type 0010G1

Code 150202YG

hope this helps.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the blade off does the mower pull up a hill without losing power?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I tried removing each plug wire one at a time. Each time the engine began to run rough but continued dot run. The Engine Numbers you asked for are:

Model 405877

Type 0010G1

Code 150202YG

hope this helps.

Excellent, you have now ruled out ignition problems so are half way there.
Charge your battery overnight, or hook up a second battery and run the blades.
If the problem goes away then either the fuel shut off solenoid is bad or the charging system is bad and the solenoid is not getting enough juice to stay open.
You can also read the battery voltage as the blades engage, it must stay above 12.5 Volts but it might drop for a brief moment the instant the blades engage the return to around 13 V, that is OK.

NExt test is to get a trigger pack, not a spray can, of WD 40 or similar and saturate the area between the carb & the engine with the blades running.
So you will need an assistant or a bag of sand on the seat.
Turn the blades on & off while you are doing this or manually push the throttle rod on the carb to make it open the butterfly.
If there is a leak then the engine will faulter and should blow some white smoke as the WD 40 gets sucked into the engine.
Try to get to both sides of the manifold.
The plastic ones are known for warping & spliting allowing air to be sucked in when the manifold vacuum increases as the throttle butterfly opens which happens whenever you put a load on the engine, like turning on the blades.

when you turn the engine off & it has stopped running , pull the dip stick tube and look for smoke coming out.
This indicates a leaking head gasket.