Which Super Recycler to Replace Honda HRX217

bs0755

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi:

I am a new member, and I currently have a two year old, top of the line Honda HRX217. It almost always starts on the first pull, is relatively quiet, and does a very good job mulching. However, believe it or not, I am not totally satisfied with it. I miss not having a side discharge, and there are so many nooks and crannies underneath, that is is time consuming to keep clean--The Versa Mow feature is especially prone to build-up... Also, I like to bag for the majority of the season, and the bag doe not seal tight.

As I said, while the Honda is an excellent mulcher, I prefer the looks of the lawn that is cut with a higher lift blade, with mulching quality being secondary; and there are no options for other blades for the HRX... I am looking at one of the Toro Super Recyclers, that would hopefully better suit my needs, with the capability of using different blades. My first inclination, was to purchase the 20382, with the Honda engine. However, it does not have the blade stop option--Not a huge deal, but it is a nice feature when bagging... Model 20383 has the blade brake, but not the Honda engine--Also, I have been told that the blade brake limits the use of aftermarket high lift blades, because there is not enough clearance? However, I see that Toro offers a bagging blade as an option--which I assume would be high lift??

I have done some research, and from what little I can find, it seems as though the Loncin engine generally gets favorable comments. If I understand correctly, it is a copy of a Honda GXV engine, which appears to be older technology, but uses heavier duty parts??

Any and all input/insights would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

Romore

Threads
The Super Reycler is just that, a recycler. It does a decent but not great job of bagging, no machine does both well. The Loncin engine would probably serve you well although only a Toro service center would be able to supply parts. I try to avoid the knockoffs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Disclaimer, I am a Toro guy. The Toro 20383 will serve you well, with or without the bagger attachment, which is included in the price. There is no blade change needed to bag, but you can get high lift blades if that is the route you would like to go. I would try the standard setup before purchasing the high lift blade. I’m very confident in the Loncin engine and have worked on them since Toro started using them. It has plenty of power to do the job. Have sold a couple of hundred Super Recyclers and cannot remember a single customer who has not been pleased with their purchase. As long as you are not cutting more than 1/3 the grass height, most lawns will look extremely good in either bagging or mulching mode. Most good small engine service centers are able to get parts, not just Toro. Right now you can get $50 off MSRP and if you are lucky you may find an even better price on last years inventory. Remember, I am biased, as I’ve been dealing with Toro’s since the 80’s, but with my background with Toro it would surprise me greatly if you were displeased with a 20383.

bs0755

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may be biased, but you certainly know of which you speak! I appreciate input from someone with your experience. I am leaning toward the 20383, and as long as the bagging blades will still be available, I will not be in a hurry to get one. It sounds to me like you sell many more Loncin than Honda equipped?

cruzenmike

Threads
4 models and only one with a Honda; they sure are pushing their Toro branded engine. I have heard the engines used in the ztrs have worked out well but how can you ignore Honda reliability and performance?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, definitely sell more Loncin than Honda. I’ll say 25/1. Our number one seller is 21381, but would not work for you because you would like the blade stop mower. Honda and Toro are the top of the line in today’s mowers. You will just have to decide which one will work best for you. Good Luck in trying to make your decision.