More useful than an hour meter!

wizard4878

Threads
so where did you get that dual gauge? was it difficult to get hooked up, did you have to drill and tap holes for sensors or dose it work a different way. pictures of the hook up points would be great if you have some

Lawn Addict
Threads
so where did you get that dual gauge? was it difficult to get hooked up, did you have to drill and tap holes for sensors or dose it work a different way. pictures of the hook up points would be great if you have some

Neo7

Threads
Just search for "Dual Digital Thermometer" on eBay and loads of them come up.

There's two prob wires and one 12vDC power wire.
For DC power you can tap into the same two wires that the hour meter uses.... too easy!
For the Tranny probe...measure the wiring route on your mower to the Tranny. Make sure the wire (which is quite lite) is well protected and won't catch on any moving leavers, belts or crossbars. You'll need to extend the twin stranded wire another meter or so and I recommend soldering those connections.

My sensor fitting are technically temporary for the moment ... but who knows lol!
For the engine I just used amalgamated tape (Radiator Hose repair tape) around the oil filter to tape down to sensor to the Oil filter. .. It's easy to cut the tape off when I need to replace the filter.
For the Tranny sensor, that will be specific to your Tranny but you just need to make sure the sensor is secured (clamped) against the case somehow (top side and central is best). And do your best to make sure the sensor wire goes nowhere near the Tranny Fan.

Hope all this helps.
Neo

6e13baa5-97f3-4930-9661-ee34c40a95d0.jpg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, That answers it for me.

Neo7

Threads
There is but one rectangular hole that's on the dash. My goal was to use that one hole because I've never seen an Hour/Twin Temp combination gauge (anyone??).... So "absolutely" both gauges are best if you're happy to cut out another hole? :smile:
There nothing to stop anyone leaving the hour gauge connected on the underside of the dash so it can be checked periodically when the hood is lifted.

My main point here is a temp gauge is a real-time health checker and I think that's far more important than watching the hours go by while mowing :laughing:

All the best.
Neo

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just search for "Dual Digital Thermometer" on eBay and loads of them come up.

There's two prob wires and one 12vDC power wire.
For DC power you can tap into the same two wires that the hour meter uses.... too easy!
For the Tranny probe...measure the wiring route on your mower to the Tranny. Make sure the wire (which is quite lite) is well protected and won't catch on any moving leavers, belts or crossbars. You'll need to extend the twin stranded wire another meter or so and I recommend soldering those connections.

My sensor fitting are technically temporary for the moment ... but who knows lol!
For the engine I just used amalgamated tape (Radiator Hose repair tape) around the oil filter to tape down to sensor to the Oil filter. .. It's easy to cut the tape off when I need to replace the filter.
For the Tranny sensor, that will be specific to your Tranny but you just need to make sure the sensor is secured (clamped) against the case somehow (top side and central is best). And do your best to make sure the sensor wire goes nowhere near the Tranny Fan.

Hope all this helps.
Neo

View attachment 43355

So these mount on the outside of the engine and tranny? I'm wondering if there's a way to drill a tap a hole that would all one to put the sensor inside the sup, to get a more accurate reading from the oil itself Like the old style meters.

You see, this is why I don't like coming to this section. (LOL) It get's me to thinking about sooo much stuff. And I've got too much other stuff to think about already. he he he he

Neo7

Threads
the sensor is water tight so could do something inside the oil... but its a lawn mower so temperatures rise fairly slowly (inside a out) anyway.

The Chairman

Threads
I'm wondering if there's a way to drill a tap a hole that would all one to put the sensor inside the sup, to get a more accurate reading from the oil itself Like the old style meters.

You can always put it in the vent hole at the top of the trans. There are two transmissions and two sensors. Coincidence?