Kawasaki FR691v

robertpalmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks. New to the forum. I have a Toro SS 5000 with a Kawasaki FR691v 23 HP engine. Recently, it has started backfiring when I pull the switch to engage the blades. I've heard everything from it possibly being a fuel solenoid to the brake module. Hard to get an answer out of my local dealer or the manufacturer. I currently don't really have a way to get it to a shop so if I could do it myself it would be great. Thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BAckfires, blows a little smoke, gets louder exhaust for a few seconds then settls down ?
All signs of a blown head gasket.
Run the engine for a few minutes, turn it off then pull the dip stick.
Soke rising confirms a gasket.

robertpalmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
No indication of a bad gasket. Did the cut off the solenoid tip trick. Seemed to run fin, but started backfiring again. Not as bad as before though.

macdog73

Threads
Robert Palmer --- same problem, same engine . I did find carb had black oil smudges in the carb. . btw , didn't s the ans. to your problem ?? macdog73

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
next test is to pull the spark plugs off, one at a time.
If pulling on off makes no difference that cylinder is bad.

Lawn Addict
Threads
with oil in the carb LIGHT FILM could intake valve be out of adj. ?

Your carb has a crankcase vent just above it, when the engine inhales it also draws in crankcase fumes, which can contain trace amounts of oil.

Make sure your oil level is not overfilled.

macdog73

Threads
sorry to type over this mssg. === problem solved ===== follow method and check to make sure piston is onTDC IN COMPRESSION STROKE and adjust valves to .0020 thousands once done mower ran all afternoon.. BTW backfiring was threw carb.

Your carb has a crankcase vent just above it, when the engine inhales it also draws in crankcase fumes, which can contain trace amounts of oil.

Make sure your oil level is not overfilled.

Lawn Addict
Threads
sorry to type over this mssg. === problem solved ===== follow method and check to make sure piston is onTDC IN COMPRESSION STROKE and adjust valves to .0020 thousands once done mower ran all afternoon.. BTW backfiring was threw carb.

Where did you get that .002 spec ? Don't want to burn any valves. They should set same as mine between .005 - 007