Problems with Massey Ferguson ZT 29 - don't know where to turn to

jmccown

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Problems with Massey Ferguson ZT 29 - don't know where to turn to
First post, looking for a bit of help. I own a 2013 Massey Ferguson ZT 29 with the Iseki diesel motor. It has been a phenomenal mower for me until this spring I took it in to a local mower shop to get it serviced. While it was in the shop the PTO and deck raise/lower functions stopped working. The local place was not a MF dealer and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. I called all local places and was astonished to find that nobody worked on Massey Ferguson mowers. I went to MF website and called the closest dealer they had listed and they told me they only work on tractors. The next place I called said they could work on it, so I took the mower to them and when I dropped it off they told me this was the first MF mower they had worked on and that they had quit making them. Fast forward 3 weeks, they are not quite sure why the PTO won't engage and why the deck won't raise or lower, but the tech support at Massey Ferguson told them to just install what they call a whole new pump set, which is the left and right hydraulic pump and a new transmission, costing me $3800. The transmission wasn't even my problem, but now I think they are just trying to throw parts at it. I'm just really frustrated because I could buy a new mower for what they want to repair it. And now, knowing that literally nobody works on these things I am going to be scared to run it for fear it might tear up again. I wanted to post here and see if anyone might be able to give me repair advice or have had any similar problems, or even know someone that could give some better direction.

dfbroxy

Threads
My first bit of advice is DONT PANIC. I would bet the dealer changed hydrolic filter and didnt know how to purge the air from the system. Someone on here may know how to do it for your mower or if you have a # to call Massey Ferguson customer help direct they should help. Im not a expert but there are several on here every day that will answer your questions.

jmccown

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would be great if that's all it is.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

You'll find some good advice around here.

jmccown

Forum Newbie
Threads
I go pick the mower up Saturday, I'm hoping it's just a purge issue. I did go to the Massey Ferguson website - find a dealer and have called all those listed in my state and nobody works on these mowers. Sad to see there is no support for the mowers, they all said they just work on the tractors. This is truly one of the best mowers I've ever used and it's sad that there isn't more support.

dfbroxy

Threads
Check with Simplicity dealers and maybe they will service it for you. BTW what type of yard do you mow? Hills, inclines, and acreage? Do you tow with it? Anyway, if Simplicity wont work on it then check around for a reputible non dealer Mower shop. It would be better if you had a mechanic that worked on zero turns all the time than a tractor guy that doesnt. I have no experience with massey fergurson zt but I looked at manual and it looks to be a quality mower. Even now in good condition they go from 5 to 8 grand, depending on age and condition. If you sell it and start from scratch it will cost big bucks and who knows if this might happen again in the future. One more thing, your trannie does have a filter which leads me to believe even more its a purge issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFAIK Massey Ferguson do not make the ZTR they are made by Briggs at one of the plants they took over.
The service manual is available from here http://www.agcopubs.com/productpage.aspx?ProdIdentifier=4283357M91
At $ 100 it is not cheap but manuals from agricultural equipment companies are generally a cut above others and designed to be understood by 3rg generation farmers from families that "don't do book learnen".
The other alternative is to find a repair only workshop .
This time of year they will not be flat strap preparring mowers for sale so should have the time to sort your problem out.
And even then you might have to front up the cost of the manual.
If I was doing it I would have added at least 1/2 the cost of the manual in my service charge, particularly if i am unlikely to ever see one again.
Most farm equipment mechanics can fix a mower it is just an engine & hydraulic system but most wont touch one if they do not have the service information.

Alternatively buy the manual yourself, and post what you do not understand here .
Working from a manual on stuff we have never seen before is all in a days work for a lot of us on there so once we can see what we are working with most of the proceedures are the same.
For instance simple things like overfilling the hydraulics then leaving it for a few days to allow the air to bubble through, prefilling oil filters.
If a filter points down then it should be filled before replacing the filter.
Lift rams oft need to be bled so it is just a matter of opening the return line the running the lifter till oil comes out etc etc etc.

ran

Threads
It seems to me when I bought my massey tractor there was one of there zero turns setting there and the salesman said it was built by Simplicity. That was in 2011