Stihl TS460 concrete saw carb issue(s) ???

blenderbender

Forum Newbie
Threads
My TS460 concrete saw wouldn't idle, just ran at high speed no matter what. I played with jets and idle screw to no avail. Opted to replace carb as that seemed easiest. Bought a Chinese carb on ebay and it needed some mods before I could use it. Had to swap out choke shaft, throttle shaft, and top cover with the old. Installed and saw started right up but still runs full bore no matter what. I had pre-adjusted jets one turn each and backed off idle screw to maximum. I got no idea at this point. Any guesses? Thanks... Gary

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the throttle shutter fuller open at this point...?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
quality matters when replacing parts such as Stihl, OEM parts on top notch equipment!

blenderbender

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the throttle shutter fuller open at this point...?

The throttle plate works as it should. It's been suggested to me by an ex-Stihl repair guy that it's likely the crank bearing seals are bad and causing it to suck air.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The throttle plate works as it should. It's been suggested to me by an ex-Stihl repair guy that it's likely the crank bearing seals are bad and causing it to suck air.

Sounds about right.
Concrete & brick saw seals take a pounding.
About the only ones I regularly replace.
Check them or get them checked both pressure & vacuum.
As for cheap Chinese carbs, If bought from an OEM SUPPLIER it might be OK.
If bought fro a surplus dealer it could be scrap from the OEM supplier.
About 80% of what you see on ebay or about 50% of what is on Amazon is defective parts rejected by the original customer.
I used to get upset about all the trash but now my mind has changed.
When some twit brings a saw/ trimmer etc fitted with a "Brand new carb but it still won't work " I now charge the actual hours, not the scheduled hours.
It takes about 45 minutes to determine if the carb is bad so that is $ 45 to diagnose that the $ 20 carb is defective then $ 60 to replace it plus parts.