MTD deck belt

Mrbill1

Threads
I recently acquired an MTD Yardman 13AM772G755 riding mower. It doesn't seem to be engaging the blades for cutting at all times when the PTO is engaged. Grass is being discharged from the chute, however, it sounds like the blades are starting and stopping periodically. Upon inspection, I discovered the belt is loose. I first thought it must have the wrong sized belt on and took it off and measured it. It is 1/2 X 95 1/2 inch. The original belt specification calls for a 1/2 X 96 1/2 inch belt, so therefore the belt cannot be too large. I've looked at all the pulleys and they are all functioning properly, as far as I can tell. Are there any other things that can cause the tension to not be taken up?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of the small pulleys should have a moving mounting plate that is spring loaded. This commonly will get dry and rusted, won't move as needed to take up the slack in the belt. Have to usually take this apart, clean and relube, should have a lot of spring tension and move freely. Or possible, one of the blade spindle bearings is shot and getting really tight, causing the belt to slip even with proper tension.