Pop up ads all over the page.

Pumper54

Threads
Is it just me or is any one else having pop up ads showing up all over the scree? They start at the top of the page but then appear at the bottom and then in the middle of the page. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
NOT on mine Tom .........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a coding thing.
Some browsers will just put the add on the top & bottom where they are supposed to be others will put them all over the page or just hang because the browser can not understand the script.
happens because geeks who code the adds are trying to show how smart they are and always use the lattest & greatest .
Older systems can not handle the newer codes and the geeks can not understand why everyone does not spend thousands every year upgrading to the very newest versions of everything.

I have about 20 web pages on the web.
Coded in HTML 2 we are up to 5.1 now days.
Thus my pages download fully before you fingers are off the keyboard and get millions of hits.
They have permanent banner adds and the owners are over the moon with the click through they get so they pay good money to have them there.
What takes all the time is the web page interrogating your browser for where you have been in order to display customised adds that you never look at.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing showing on mine, but I have my filters turned up..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Adblocker is only showing two blocked ads on this page.

Pumper54

Threads
Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to look a little harder at my filters. I don't mind when the ad is at the top of the page but when it starts bouncing all over and blocking the threads that is when it starts to get me angry. Just reset an "opt out" filter, now will see what happened.
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to look a little harder at my filters. I don't mind when the ad is at the top of the page but when it starts bouncing all over and blocking the threads that is when it starts to get me angry. Just reset an "opt out" filter, now will see what happened.
Tom

You also might have a trojan in there that is allowing adds to over ride your computes security.
If you have a habit of clicking on one of those "Do you know this about ( stick a TV show or movie name in here ) " that has you clicking all over the place or any similar thing like silly tests that cause you to do a lot of clicking then you have unwittingly downloaded & installed trojans.
Similar things that are running inside another app like face book are OK but the ones that pop up around a normal page are always suspect.
IF the add is confined to the window space of the forum window then it has most likely originated from the forum.
If they extend over the edges of the forum window then they are from another app running on your computer.

Last edited:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Yes, we added a few more ads over the weekend... gotta pay the bills. :laughing:

Having said that we want to make sure it doesn't make your browsing unpleasant.

Are you using a desktop or mobile device to access?

Does the ad cover a large part of the screen?

I've tested on my devices and don't have any ads popping up across the entire screen but there may be an error or implementation issue causing incorrect and desirable display.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WFIW I get 2 or 3 banner adds.
One on the top about to get mowed over
A second in the white space that the "google search" is in and a third at the bottom above the Grass.

However the bottom one oft goes edge to edge and obscures the bottom of the page.
The PIA bit is the window continually expand & contracts vertically as the pop up pop in & pop out.
A couple of times the top add has cascaded down the screen but refreshing the tab corrects this.
I am running an older version of Firefox ported for linux on an older mac so I don't expect things to work perfectly.

Pumper54

Threads
Yes, we added a few more ads over the weekend... gotta pay the bills. :laughing:

Having said that we want to make sure it doesn't make your browsing unpleasant.

Are you using a desktop or mobile device to access?

Does the ad cover a large part of the screen?

I've tested on my devices and don't have any ads popping up across the entire screen but there may be an error or implementation issue causing incorrect and desirable display.

Thank you so very much for your help here. I am using a desk top computer. The ads in question are website related ie equipment/mower ads with a few non-mower thrown in. They are "strip ads" which appear at the top or bottom of the screen and then sometimes there will be two or more of the same ad on the screen top and bottom or top and middle, middle and bottom. When I click on the X box they go away but it gets to be a pain in the rear end to do it all the time. I selected the "ad blocker" option on the ads so I will see if that works.
Thank you again
Tom