Pop up ads all over the page.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, but email has almost completely stopped.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
While using ipad? Are you seeing the full site version or the mobile version of the site? Full site has the larger green nav bar at the top.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Full sight version, same as when I’m on my computer. Have not noticed size changes while on the computer, but spend 90% of the time on the IPad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While the removal of the lower adds has improved things a bit and prevented most of the unresponsive script hangs, we still have the resizing problem.
I view the forum on a 32" screen set to a fine resolution so it is tollerable but the pop up nearly always cause a window redraw.
This naturally causes the text to bounce all over the place as the window expands in order to fit the add in or contracts as the add vanishes.
It is very annoying as the type bounces up & down on the screen.
I have no idea about the contract to carry advertising but you should be able to code in a fixed sized transparent portal for the adds to appear in.
This would then stop the window redrawing as we would see either the add or the background and the window would then be stable.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
While the removal of the lower adds has improved things a bit and prevented most of the unresponsive script hangs, we still have the resizing problem.
I view the forum on a 32" screen set to a fine resolution so it is tollerable but the pop up nearly always cause a window redraw.
This naturally causes the text to bounce all over the place as the window expands in order to fit the add in or contracts as the add vanishes.
It is very annoying as the type bounces up & down on the screen.
I have no idea about the contract to carry advertising but you should be able to code in a fixed sized transparent portal for the adds to appear in.
This would then stop the window redrawing as we would see either the add or the background and the window would then be stable.

I'm really not sure what you're experiencing because none of the ads should be resizing the screen or causing the window to redraw. I'll try to figure it out though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What happens is when the pop ups pop up some of them are bigger ( taller ) than others
Right now the Ebay one just came in & went out, and the window did not change.
The following add was thinner and the whole reply pane moved up the screen about 1/4"
Then there was no add and the pane moved another 1/4" up the page .
The top bar add always fits between the black bar at the top of the window & the bottom off the grass in the headder.
So that is fine
The second strip add rarely sits neatly in the blank space between the thread navigation bar and the top green bar
It looks like the text ( Reply to Thread) is justified to the bottom of a text box with a blank line above that goes completely across the page
So then the 2nd strip add loads it expands the window, we might be using redraw in different sense , so I will just call it expand as the screen does not go blank, it just moves down.
So if the 2nd strip add is the same size as the top strip add the window expands around 1/2".
I run Firefox full screen so the movement is just annoying but if the window is narrower it can cause the text input to drop off my screen.
Now this could be because you are using functions not available on my older browser version.
Then every now & then the 2nd strip add draws bigger then the top strip add and this pushes the region of the screen I am using even further down the page.
How much the screen bounces around depends upon haw fast the adds cycle and their sizes.
So it looks like some formatting is needed for the space where the second strip add loads.
A Mitsubishi add has just appeared, it was dynamic and while the image was changing it hyjacked my processor so what I was typing did not appear till the add vanished.
Most of the time there are no adds at all but I suppose that is a regional thing as I only get regional adds for things I have bought or places I have been.
Then some times the top two adds are identical but the lower add draws larger than the top add which pushes the screen even further down.

When typing a reply it is not too bad apart from your eyes being forced to bounce up & down but if you are reading a post near the bottom of the screen then the entire section you are reading will vanish off the screen as it gets pushed lower than the viewing area.
I took a couple of images to show you this.

There is a problem with a lot of web developers & designers who only run the lattest versions of everything on the most modern equipment and don't bother to check their fancy dancy handiwork will actually work properly on older machines and older browsers.

Took a couple of screen shots to illustrate

no add.jpg

No add

with add.jpg

Normal size add

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Naturally I could not get a big add to pop up but I hope those two images show you what is happening.
On a wide screen it is not too bad now the bottom add has gone but on a narrow screen it would drive one mad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK
Had a few minutes spare to play silly buggers and get a screen shot
You might like to ask Google why their adds are causing your customers computers to crash ( well hang in my case )

this is the motzilla error message
I will add a few more when I get 1/2 hour to spare which is about how long it takes to get a screen shot because the script is consuming the entire processor.

unresponsive .jpg

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Okay, I will look into this.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still having a problem with my screen size constantly changing. This all started when advertising was added to the site. Drives me nuts while I’m trying to make a reply, hopefully you can find the problem or have a remedy. Thank you.