Poulan 300EX Rear End Servicable?

bjordan

Threads
I never answer technical PM's as it subverts the whole idea of an open public forum
So this should be the schmatic of your box

View attachment 43567
The shift keys are the parts marked 8.
The shaft # 67 has 2 slots in it and the keys slide along it to select the gears.
Note the gears marked # 83, # 49 , # 50 etc have slots in them for the keys to fit in and lock that gear to the shaft.

Also note near the bottom, the brake rotor # 36 which is fixed to the layshaft # 4
If that rotor is not turning then the brake is locked which locks the diff as mentioned in the previous post.

Thanks Bert. I split the cases just now and didn't see anything broken in my very quick glance. I will take a much closer look at the #67 shaft and #8 keys. The brake rotor was spinning fine. So far, since I have gotten the case halves apart, I have run them through my parts washer and installed new output shaft seals. We'll get it going.

More to come!

Thanks again!!

bjordan

Threads
Thanks Bert. I split the cases just now and didn't see anything broken in my very quick glance. I will take a much closer look at the #67 shaft and #8 keys. The brake rotor was spinning fine. So far, since I have gotten the case halves apart, I have run them through my parts washer and installed new output shaft seals. We'll get it going.

More to come!

Thanks again!!

Another update. I spent about 45 minutes with the transaxle and pulled the gears from the #67 shaft. The shaft, #8 keys and all the gears seem to be in really good condition. No visible wear on the shaft and keys and very minimal wear on the gears. I also looked for any broken pieces of metal in the cases, and found none. Nothing seems sheared off or broken. All-in-all, the internals look very good to me.

As I mentioned, I did get the output shaft seals replaced. What else should I look for before I put the halves back together?