Charging system on Tec HM100

Hydrotrac12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy

I have an old tractor that has been repowered with a Tecumseh HM100 10HP with Electric start. As it stands the charging system is not hooked up at all and the motor is just hooked straight to the start button/battery. No key switch or solenoid, just a direct 12v tractor starter button. There is a plug coming off the side of the engine with a red and green wire. Im getting 30V AC when I connect the multi-meter to it. 1.2V DC. so I'm assuming it has the stator and capability to charge. What am I going to need to be able to get a charging system to the battery and be able to run lights accessories etc. When I pull the pull start cover off it the wires are coming off what appears to be a rectifier (little thin rectangular block with 2 spade connections on it)...so Im confused by the AC reading. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hydrotrac12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did look at anther manual but all it did was describe current and how rectifiers and diodes worked - I need the kindergarten version, pictures, crayons, etc. That version you showed did lead me in the right direction. Thank you.

dfbroxy

Threads
I looked at the manual and I believe the red is positive to the battery and the green is a kill switch from ignition. Test by hooking red to + on battery, start mower, then test battery to see if it is charging.

Hydrotrac12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I went ahead an tore down the tractor so the engine is off at the moment anyway, giving it a much needed cleaning and semi-restoration. I appreciate all the comments. Itll be a week or so before I get back to that can of worms.

Hydrotrac12

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK got her back up and running - now to tackle the charging system. So Im getting 2 VDC from the red wire and 30 VAC from the green wire. Does this sound right? I cant find the exact setup in the manual that was provided above. So im not sure which row to hoe here. Im thinking that 2VDC is too low. May just shotgun a new rectifier on there and see where Im at.