OK, GUN TO HEAD what engine Kohler 7000, or Kawasaki FR600

bh1971

Threads
  • / OK, GUN TO HEAD what engine Kohler 7000, or Kawasaki FR600
Ive asked this question before i get answers on what mower to buy. Im buying a 42 inch zero turn, brand dont matter. 3/8 acre flat yard, between these two engines which one should i choose??

Lawn Addict
Threads
The answers you get may be biased like mine is. Kawasaki.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was all gung-ho on Kawasaki until I found out that their scheduled maintenance calls for removing the heads every 300 hours and cleaning the valves and combustion chambers.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is an important point to consider. I know I have thought about it.

But in over 4 years of ownership I only have 110 hours on it. So if I have it 8 more years, I might be ready for one of those robotic mowers..

I wonder how many owners actually remove the heads to do the 300 hour cleaning ? Kawasaki said on the phone, it was just a recommendation.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably not very many, if you mean doing the work themselves. The manual recommends this work be done by a dealership, which would drive the cost up considerably.

The combination of cost and complexity will probably mean most of these engines will never get this maintenance.

stevestd

Threads
My 19hp Kawasaki has 800 odd hours and has run perfectly over many many years with no repairs. If you are worried about the valves and combustion chamber you could simply add Mercury’s Power Tune or similar.

cruzenmike

Threads
Ive asked this question before i get answers on what mower to buy. Im buying a 42 inch zero turn, brand dont matter. 3/8 acre flat yard, between these two engines which one should i choose??

Nobody will be able to "prove" to you that one engine is better than the another. You can either take the biased advice of every user on here, pick based on your own experiences with each brand or pick based on cost, hp or how it looks (people do it).

For example, I have a mower that was offered with a Briggs, a Kohler and a Kawasaki. When I attempted to sell it years ago I had a prospective buyer say that if it had the Kawasaki he would have been more interested. Now, that person obviously had a proclivity for Kawasaki, but my engine runs smoothly, quiet and with no issues.

My personal preference would be Briggs, so much so that I would likely shop for mowers only having a Briggs Vanguard in it. But, if it came down to cost or mower brand over engine make, I would choose Kawasaki over Kohler.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably not very many, if you mean doing the work themselves. The manual recommends this work be done by a dealership, which would drive the cost up considerably.

The combination of cost and complexity will probably mean most of these engines will never get this maintenance.

Agreed, mine @ 100 hours I changed the spark plugs, in part to get a good fresh read on the burn with the Donaldson conversion. But the 100 hour original plugs were still almost completely white. EPA etc. But how bad could the combustion chambers be if it's running so clean & lean ?

I haven't put my borescope in the plug holes yet. I didn't feel the need. If necessary at that time I'd do the heads myself.

IDK if Kohler or Briggs have this recommendation ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kawasaki is the first time I've ever seen that recommendation, but I haven't looked at the Kohler or Briggs manuals.

There was another thread on here in which a Kaw owner had carbon buildup and a burned exhaust valve because of it. I commented on that thread that maybe the recommended cleaning is their answer to the problem and would have prevented it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't see that thread.

I guess he was past the 300 hour mark then obviously. The carbon could cause a valve to burn. I run Seafoam in spring & late fall in my 100% gas for cleaning.

I did set up my neighbors Simplicity & it has a B&S 23hp twin. I was looking in his manual about the deck because he has the coil springs suspension on it. I never looked in the service recommendation part. If I get a chance I'll ask to see his Owners Manual.