Gravely Pro Turn Z or John Deere 540R 60"

bchumley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to buy my first zero turn for 2.5 acres which is all flat. The Gravely Pro Turn Z (commercial model - 10 gauge fabricated deck) will be 20% off beginning next week and will be $500 out the door cheaper than the John Deere 540R (residential model - 9 gauge stamped deck). The Gravely has the 26.5 hp Gravely engine and the John Deere has the 24 hp Kawasaki engine. Both are offering 4 year warranties but the Gravely seems to be built a little tougher. Anyone have any experience with either?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gravley is a much better machine by far. The hydros are twice as good as the John Deere's hydros

JBdawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to buy my first zero turn for 2.5 acres which is all flat. The Gravely Pro Turn Z (commercial model - 10 gauge fabricated deck) will be 20% off beginning next week and will be $500 out the door cheaper than the John Deere 540R (residential model - 9 gauge stamped deck). The Gravely has the 26.5 hp Gravely engine and the John Deere has the 24 hp Kawasaki engine. Both are offering 4 year warranties but the Gravely seems to be built a little tougher. Anyone have any experience with either?

$500 out the door cheaper seems really great. What is that final price out the door if I may ask??

bchumley

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Gravely can be purchased for $5,368 plus tax beginning this Friday.

Treflan Can

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at the same model but became hesitant when the salesman had to try a few times and jockying the throttle to get the Gravely engine to start in the show room and on a second visit had the same issue
Because this would be used on a very remote farm I just couldnt take a chance on that engine (built by Loncin for Gravely and for xmark in a different model) in its 1st year out warranty or no warranty
Im sure its probly a fine engine but not for my needs
I went overkill and reserved a proturn 160 with the yamaha

Treflan Can

Forum Newbie
Threads
I too was looking at the jd but looking at the 700 or 900 series and the Gravelys won the bang for your buck catagory easily especially with the 20% off sale prices and the Gravely dealer was much more knowledgeable of their product

crj

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have experienced with both and both are quality. The differences are a personal preference to me. The Gravely is stronger but I have had deck wear issues. The John Deere is more maneuverable and tears up lawn much less. The original John Deere I had was bigger than the 540 and lasted a solid 10 years mowing grass at a school. The next purchase was a Gravely and it will not last as long. I think the original may have been built for Deere at a Husqvarna plant according to some info I dug up. I purchased a 540 for home where I mow 5 acres. Best money deal would be my suggestion.

Richkiminhou

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used Pro Turn Z52 with the Loncin engine with 86 hours on it. I changed the oil with a splash of Biotech (organic moly), new air filter, ran super unleaded and changed the plugs. I put the throttle to the mid position, pull the choke and it starts up with it 1-2 seconds. I let it warm up for 20 seconds and then start mowing. Hope this helps.