Will only start with starting fluid?

chris1976

Threads
I have a power washer with a briggs and stratton motor i can only get it to start by using starting fluid.

What would the issue be? Once it's ran for awhile i can re-start it without using starting fluid.

Thanks for the help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the carburetor choke make sure its working properly...!

Russ2251

Threads
Had a bad plug once...would only start with a shot of ether.

chris1976

Threads
How?

It could also be all of that old bad gas in the tank.

It's not the gas it has the issue with new gas, i think the choke works since when i move it the engine will idle down. It wouldn't do anything if it's not working right?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does that engine have a primer to push?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's not the gas it has the issue with new gas, i think the choke works since when i move it the engine will idle down. It wouldn't do anything if it's not working right?

Wrong.

The cable slips in the clamp so when full forward the choke is not fully closed..
So take the air filter off and check before discounting any good advice engine man has given you.

Russ mentioned bad fuel
You can get bad fuel direct from the bowser

chris1976

Threads
Does that engine have a primer to push?

No primer. It's not the gas! The same gas is used in a lawn mower, generator, a car zero trouble on any of them. Had the same issue with the power washer last year with different gas. It's always been hard to start. I need to change the oil in it but it does not have a drain plug stupid that i'll have to turn it on it's side to get the oil out. A drain plug can't cost very much.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No primer. It's not the gas! The same gas is used in a lawn mower, generator, a car zero trouble on any of them. Had the same issue with the power washer last year with different gas. It's always been hard to start. I need to change the oil in it but it does not have a drain plug stupid that i'll have to turn it on it's side to get the oil out. A drain plug can't cost very much.

Doesn't matter if it will run in everything else you own, It could still be classified as bad gas. If this engine has been built since 2015 it could be a fuel quality issue, not bad gas, but off just enough to cause starting issues. What everybody is talking about with the choke is they want you to make sure it is closing all the way. Just takes a few thousands from complete close to cause problems.

The drain plug issue came about because several of the mower manufacturers designed their decks to where there is just a hole for the crankshaft therefore no location to access the drain plug. Some of the front tine tillers with vertical crankshaft engines are the same way. Try turning a 200 pound tiller over to drain the oil. Which also explains the new never change oil Briggs engines.