Can tractor respond with 0 battery load power and good volts? Need help

tchestman88

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can tractor respond with 0 battery load power and good volts? Need help
My tractor wouldn't start so I brought the battery to John Deere, they tested the battery and said the cells are good and it works fine, they recommended other services, but I declined and came home to ask my neighbor (lawn tractor mechanic). He said the engine was seized due to running on barely any oil, he was right about the oil, and recommended a new engine. I bought a battery load tester, the volts ran good but the load detected a zero reading. I asked John Deere if the mower should start with a zero load, and they didn't provide any info, said they couldn't diagnose over the phone. My neighbor mechanic said the battery ran good until the mower seized, so battery should be good and the volts test good.
I know I need a new battery, but with a zero load detection could this in fact cause the mower to not have any response even-though the volts test good?

Mkala

Threads
Hello,

Not sure I understood all well.
Your starter is engaging ? But can't spin the motor ? Other load (lights) working ?

About a battery, you should load it to test it. It's what a battery tester is doing. Reading the voltage can give you an information of state of charge, but can not determine the health (or condition) of the battery.

By the way, I always read "my battery was flat and I recharged it it is ok". No. No no. A lead acid that drop bellow 10.5V start irreversible sulfating, so it deteriorate - the only question is a few or a lot.
Lawn tractor guys, keep your battery charged during winter ;)

tchestman88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Not sure I understood all well.
Your starter is engaging ? But can't spin the motor ? Other load (lights) working ?

About a battery, you should load it to test it. It's what a battery tester is doing. Reading the voltage can give you an information of state of charge, but can not determine the health (or condition) of the battery.

By the way, I always read "my battery was flat and I recharged it it is ok". No. No no. A lead acid that drop bellow 10.5V start irreversible sulfating, so it deteriorate - the only question is a few or a lot.
Lawn tractor guys, keep your battery charged during winter ;)

Nothing is engaging or happening, I do appreciate your help though. All I know is, the load tester is at 0. This video shows what I'm talking about on youtube, their battery load is good but mine is at 0 (my dial goes all the way down to the left). Check this video out, start it a 2:26-2:59. Just need to see this 30 sec of it. Hope this helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-P9IAMLO4. Thank you for your time.

Mkala

Threads
This tester is the perfect way to test batteries. It's the old way (just a resistor) but uncomplicated and reliable (as long as you don't cook it keeping the switch on).

When you connect the battery, it shows which voltage ?
When you flip flip the switch, it load the battery. If it was at 12V and drop to zero -> trash, does not handle the load.