oil filter length

goosemasterkl

Threads
I change oil in several of my friends mowers and I was wondering if it's ok to use the short filter 2 1/4" in place of the 3 to 3 1/2" filters? I ordered a case of filters and they sent me the short filter. Thanks to all who may reply.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Other than a small oil volume change it doesn't matter what filter you use. I don't even stock the long filters any more because most of the mowers that I work on have clearance issues with the long filters.

goosemasterkl

Threads
ILEngine: That's what I was thinking but wanted to hear from a more qualified person. Thanks for your reply.

goosemasterkl

Threads
ILENGINE; so your saying it would be ok to use one of these short oil filters on say a twin cylinder 27hp engine? I'm just wanting to make sure I don't mess an engine up. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
you can use it on 1999Hp engines if you feel like it.
An oil filter is an oil filter is an oil filter.
All that is important is the mesh size, & valves.If they are the same, size does not matter ,,, now where have I heard that before ?
All mower engine oil filters use the same mesh size.
All mower engine oil filters have a bypass valve set to almost the same pressure.
I do the opposite to Illengine & fit Briggs longs to almost everything for no other reason than I buy them in 144 trade packs very cheap and a big filter always makes the customer think they are getting better value.
I can afford the extra time because I am only doing 1 or 2 jobs a day.

The mower aftermarket suppliers usually put the full spec of their oil filters in their catalogues and if you go to Rotary & Stens you will see they all all basically the same