Troy-Bilt Pony 7-Speed - Starter binds, Maybe stuck in gear, Won't start, Won't roll

geneagray

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt Pony 7-Speed - Starter binds, Maybe stuck in gear, Won't start, Won't roll
TB tractor w/ 18.5 hp B&S engine.
I suspect that the transmission is locked in gear and the engine will not start.

Symptoms:
-I can push it and it will roll fwd/back easily about 6" then meet a hard stop - seems like normal gear or belt play before meeting resistance.
-With a fully charged battery, the starter will kick on when keyed, but will only give a solid thunk as though unable to turn what it is encountering.

Eventually I got it to roll, but when I try to start it, the starter kicks like it is trying to start, but then stops. I tried to manually turn engine over by spinning the top round thing with the steel screen but it is very difficult to get it to rotate.

Tried jumping it, but battery has good charge and no change when jumped.

I found the linkage where the shift lever (Forward-Neutral-Reverse only) attaches to the transmission/transaxle at the rear of the tractor. I can manipulate the shift handle but the engine will turn over slightly, "clunks," and will not start.

Any clues folks?

Thanks!

Gene

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt Pony 7-Speed - Starter binds, Maybe stuck in gear, Won't start, Won't roll
lawnmower brakes work on the layshaft so lock the diff
Lift the rear end
If one wheel can turn forward & the other wheel turns backwards in the air and you can not move it wheels on the ground then your brake is locked on.
Take off the rear right wheel and you will see it in front of you.
Undo the single bolt each side of the caliper & remove the caliper.
Be careful as the brake pad & the shim behind the pad will fall out.
You will see 2 pins that the lever pushes to work the brake.
Pull them out and clean the rust off them, replace with some dry lithium chassis grease applied.
Do not touch the mmiddle bolt on the caliper at the base of the lever, that is for adjusting the brake.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
An 18.5 Briggs could be a single cylinder or a twin. The single would be an overhead valve engine and possibly a push rod has dropped and hits the crankshaft to stop the motor. The twin cylinder engine is known for broken rods, same deal. I'd pull the spark plugs, try the starter with the clutch/brake pedal pushed down, this will dis-engage the drive system. If the engine still won't turn over with the starter or by hand, I'd guess internal engine problems.

geneagray

Forum Newbie
Threads
lawnmower brakes work on the layshaft so lock the diff
Lift the rear end
If one wheel can turn forward & the other wheel turns backwards in the air and you can not move it wheels on the ground then your brake is locked on.
Take off the rear right wheel and you will see it in front of you.
Undo the single bolt each side of the caliper & remove the caliper.
Be careful as the brake pad & the shim behind the pad will fall out.
You will see 2 pins that the lever pushes to work the brake.
Pull them out and clean the rust off them, replace with some dry lithium chassis grease applied.
Do not touch the mmiddle bolt on the caliper at the base of the lever, that is for adjusting the brake.

Thank you. I'll try your suggestion. Gene

geneagray

Forum Newbie
Threads
An 18.5 Briggs could be a single cylinder or a twin. The single would be an overhead valve engine and possibly a push rod has dropped and hits the crankshaft to stop the motor. The twin cylinder engine is known for broken rods, same deal. I'd pull the spark plugs, try the starter with the clutch/brake pedal pushed down, this will dis-engage the drive system. If the engine still won't turn over with the starter or by hand, I'd guess internal engine problems.

Great info. I hope that it is not the problem, but I'll check. Gene