Buying Advice Need advice on a new Toro Personal Pace Recycler

GardenStateGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently have a Craftsman that I've owned for 10 years. No real problems but as I get older, I want something that can handle my backyard which has a downward slope without tiring out my body. My current mower is "self-propelled" but does practically nothing except rotate the front wheels but provides no traction or pull. I heard Toros are very good. I've been thinking of about this Personal Pace Recycler Self Propelled walk behind. I'm curious as to how much pull it has and is it easy to maneuver around turns. Is it worth the money or should I go with another type of Toro? I live in Florida where during the summer I almost need to mow 2x a week so I need something good but easy on my body. Any suggestions on a new mower? I'd like to stay around the $350-$370 range.

Tjstampa

Threads
I had a personal pace from around 2000. It seemed that everY 3 years or so the transmission would start to go out, I live in Florida so about 35 to 40 cuts a year I bought a honda in 2015. I have been cutting my yard and my parents yard so about 100 hours a year and the only problem I have had was a tank of bad gas. Goes up and down slops with ease

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
Honda is running their extended warranty promotion right now too. 4 years on the HRS and HRR and 6 years on the HRX. Also, the HRR216VKA, which is one of the highest rated consumer models, is on sale at Home Depot for $379.

bogdaN

Threads
Go with Honda you will love it.

g4fne

Threads
I am going against the grain here. Since 2012 i have owned 3 Hayter (same as Toro) with personal pace and 2 Honda's (one variable speed and one single speed). The Honda's are clunky and stiff in operation in comparison to the personal pace. The personal pace on the Toro/Hayter is effortless in comparison, free running, more manouverable and much more user friendly imo

deminin

Threads
I've had a Toro Personal Pace for about 7 or 8 years now, and it has been quite good. I like the fact that it "moves" as fast, or slow, as I feel like walking. I use it primarily to trim around the dozens of trees we have in our huge yard, and mowing a small "island" in the middle of the driveway. Then, I get the riding mower out to do the rest. I also like the fact that the rear wheels are driven....front wheel drive would seem to be more trouble than it's worth. I just do the normal oil and filter changes, and that seems to take care of it....that, and one blade, a couple of years ago. I also remove the rear wheels at the end of mowing season, clean the drive gears, and coat the gears with some grease....there is usually a buildup of dirt/grass on the gears, and if not cleaned and lubed, the rear wheels can lock up. It's an easy 10 minute job.