engine hard to spin

Regwal

Threads
I am stumped! 22HP verticle B&S engine is very hard to spin. Had it in shop for oil pan seal, changed crank seal while at it. Shop said it was very hard to start and replaced starter. went to pick it up and shop said engine is very hard to turn by hand. I can't say it is any harder than always but have to think it is. Never experienced the start motor wire getting hot and smoking at starter terminal before but it may have happened. Cannot idle engine, cleaned new carb and ide problem still there. I have not removed a spark plug yet but shop said they did and engine still hard to spin. Too many things point toward engine right now. Once started the engine runs well except on idle. Anyone want to offer food for thought with this amount of information or perhaps what to check first? I changed the carb for idle problem, so thinking now that engine was hard to spin then as well causing idle problem. :mad:

Romore

Threads
Does it turn easily with the spark plug removed? If so check the valve lash, if the exhaust is too loose the automatic compression release won't work. If it is still tight have the shop go back into it to find out why.