FR 651V 22 hp oil leak

David K

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kawasaki FR651V 22 hp engine on a Cub Cadet zero turn that I noticed was leaking oil on the rear side dripping down on the muffler and puddling on the floor. When I went to crank it after it sat in the garage for the winter I noticed the leak. I’ve never seen this engine leaking oil before.I haven’t been able to identify where it’s coming from. Does anyone know of weak or typical areas where this engine is known to leak oil? It is dry around the oil filter and oil drain tube. Thanks, David K

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check oil level on dipstick should be on full mark & oil color clean or light brown, wipe areas with oil on them, muffler etc. crank mower outside garage & have a flashlight handy, place a piece of cardboard under engine to keep oil off driveway, let engine idle a few minutes looking for leak, if engine not leaking oil give it full throttle for a few minutes, let us know what you find.

David K

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to crank my mower this afternoon and let it idle on full throttle for a few minutes without being able to detect where the oil leak was coming from. The dip stick inducated almost full, a little over 3/4 to the full mark. I mowed for about an hour and checked the oil level and it was down about a quart. I guess I’ll keep looking. At first the engine smoked but I think it was burn off where the oil had dropped on the muffler. DavidK

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down about a QUART ??? It only holds 2 Quarts. You're gonna blow that engine up that low.

Also look under the valve covers.

PS: Idle is low RPM's, Full throttle is WFO.