John deer 425 electrical issue

HCallahan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, our 425 wants to start while in accessory mode. Without pushing the clutch/brake in and will start with the PTO engaged? I've replaced the ignition (not the problem) still wanting to start. i replaced the timing module, (not the problem) and i tried a new PTO switch (not the problem). I've unplugged all electrical connections i could find and cleaned them up and re attached them.
It did start when i unplugged the PTO so we thought that was the problem but when we tried it again (3 min later) it started wanting to start again while in accessory. The seat switch has been hardwired so my wife can drive it. So basically its running hot/live, something is telling it to start and over riding the safety features. We would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.
The engine was completely rebuilt in spring last year and did run strong until this issue. Noticed the starter running while the tractor was already running, shut it off and since then this is our issue.
Kawasaki V twin engine.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of your safety switches is bad. Test them all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the starter is running all the time then you have a problem with the key switch or the solenoid
There is no way to walk you through proper testing & diagnosing this mower on a forum.
The electrical system is way too complicated.You only have two options
1) take it to the dealer , expect a $ 500 bill
2) buy the service manual and spend a weekend doing the tests exactly as described.

The JD manual shows you what to test, where to test it , how to test it & what the test results mean
No jargon, plain English & all you need is a standard multimeter.
We can help you if you find the manual confusing .

AFAIK the 425 has only a 3 position switch

Off-On-Start

There is no accessory position on the switch so your post is rather confusing.