Attachments John Deere X350R rear Bagger issues

jwmlawnman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the John Deere X350 R last mowing season. I thought my wife could handle the one step handle pull to dump grass clippings then continue cutting while I make for the lake and pull in some crappy. Turns out the rear bagger system on this model is the real crappy. The bagger picks up grass through a center chute picked up by the curved blades that creates the suction. The bagger fills up gives a little beep as advertised. BUT, after the first dump, one has to remove the big bagger from the mower, pull out and dump the clippings from the chute, then get a rod or rake handle and clear out the lower part of the chute to the blades, replace the chute, replace the bagger and then go back the cutting. what a hassle. I took the unit to the John Deere Dealer and hoped that somehow different blades were needed or a deeper deck, etc. Nope; had the right blades and deck design as grass is picked up perfect the first load. Grass not wet or high. They suggested slowing down?? It defies logic that once the bagger is full, and dumped why one cannot lower the bagger and continue cutting grass. Nope must go through the entire clean out process every time..

Great concept, terrible engineering.
SWEAT HOME ALABAMA

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the chute is clogged, then it is an operators problem, or the full indicator is not set to the correct level.
The problem is people hear the full signal, then mow another few minutes during which time the cut grass packs in so tight that is can not be shifted by the air flow into the bagger.
Try turning the blades off the second you hear the bag full signal.
After a few mows you should be able to work out that X runs around the yard fills the bagger.
Tipping it slightly before it fills will solve your problem .
The vendor should have informed you as to the correct operation of the mower but very few take the time on anything under $ 10,000.

jwmlawnman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. I pick up the mower tomorrow. I’ll try suggestions and give a report back here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let us know how it goes.
There is another member currently looking at buying a similar model.

jwmlawnman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up my JD X350R this am. Since I only had 15 hours on the unit from last season no service needed. The issue mentioned in my initial post was investigated by the service department with no good result. He said it had them all stumped. Seems my unit was the first one they have sold.
Bertsmobile1 gave me suggestions yesterday that I employed upon unloading my mower and started cutting Bermuda that resembled hay for this time of year. Anyway first I decided to cut about half a load. I dumped it and immediately dropped the bag and started cutting. Unfortunately it did not dump in the bag. It simply packed the chute. Once cleaned out, started picking up grass and leaves again. Go figure. Grass will turn green again in May so until then I'm planning my garden for this year.

Thanks Bertsmobile1 for the tip. Just did not work for me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a shame.
Unfortunately I have never had my hands on one to see exactly what is happening.
If the chute is still clogging when you dump a 1/2 empty catcher then the grass has to be falling backwards into the chute when you dump it.
Not sure if there is a work around for it, sounds like a design flaw.

Thanks for getting back so we know what did not work.

ARAM2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a X350R rear bagger which I purchased new in 2016. I learned early on to stop the blades and empty the bag immediately after the "chime" alarm sounds, because the only time the chute area has plugged for me is if I have disregarded the alarm and try to mow just a little bit more . I am currently mowing an approximately 3 acre hilly yard, with lots of trees, and this mower has worked the best by far of anything I have owned in the 30 plus years mowing this yard. It sucks up the predominately fescue grass well, and especially in the fall it sucks up oak and hickory leaves without any residue. l have been very pleased with this mower, and only wished it would have traction lock for use on the hilly areas if they are damp, and maybe a larger deck, because it currently takes me about 3 hours to mow every time.

My most recent mower before this one was a large Cub Cadet commercial ZTR 72" with a large hopper and built in blower. It mowed the yard in a little over an hour, but a lot of the mowing could only be done in one direction, because of all the trees and the way the mower was designed, the X350R lets me mow everything in alternate directions and right up to any obstacle without any problem.

To say the least, I have been very happy with this mower, and after reading the negative comments just now, I thought I would throw in my "2 cents worth", just to let others know that if you follow the mowers "full bag" indicator you should / will be very happy with your X350R.

Tom