Help..Need advice on what John Deere model mower to buy.

bh1971

Threads
  • / Help..Need advice on what John Deere model mower to buy.
Im 48 years old and due to knee problems i will be buying my first riding mower this year.

I have a small flat yard, about 3/8 acre.

Im considering the JD E110 $1799, E120 $1899, E130 $1999, and the S240 $2599.

Considering my yard is small and flat would the E110 be good enough or would be better to go up to 120 or 130 for the better V-Twin engine? I want one thats gonna last 20+ years. Or should i go up to the S240 with the Kawasaki V-Twin? I dont mind spending the extra money for the S240if its worth it. If the E110 will work good for my needs i would rather do that.

Does the Engine really matter? Will the Transmission wear out before any of the engines?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gotomow

Threads
I have been looking at the Deere's all winter. Yes the V-Twins will run smoother and for the most part last longer. I would start with the E120 & E130 models. The S240 gives you a nicer seat and of course that very smooth running Kawasaki V-Twin. Plus the S240 gives you a longer 3 year bumper to bumper warranty vs the E series 2 year warranty. I'll probably go with either the S240 or an E330 or E350. IMHO any money spent on upgrading to the S240 is money very well spent. Make sure to test drive them all before you buy!!!!

dmenn

Threads
The S240 has the K46 transmission, which is more durable than the ones that come in the E series you're looking at. Between the better transmission and Kawi V-Twin, the S240 is one to check out.

bh1971

Threads
Dont the 100 series and the S240 all have the K46 transmission? From what ive been reading the past couple days the transmission is the problem? The way it sounds it doesnt matter what model or engine i buy they are all gonna outlast the K46 Transmission. Is that true?

gotomow

Threads
Dont the 100 series and the S240 all have the K46 transmission? From what ive been reading the past couple days the transmission is the problem? The way it sounds it doesnt matter what model or engine i buy they are all gonna outlast the K46 Transmission. Is that true?

The E100 uses a different transmission. It uses the General Transmissions CVT type. The rest use the K46 transmission. The K46 is used on literally thousands if not hundreds of thousand of riding lawn mowers. Problems arise when owners abuse them. I would not base a purchase revolving around just the hydro maybe having problems. Even if issues with the tranny do arise are you going to junk the whole unit? Go over to your dealer and test drive the different models. If based on your experiences at the dealer the least expensive model is to your liking then by all means go for it.

cruzenmike

Threads
Mowing .25 acres every week of the summer on a perfectly flat lawn and following all of the manufacturers recommendations such as always running at full throttle while moving and allowing the trans to warm up and cool down when the time is appropriate will allow a K46 to last a decent amount of time. Outside of abuse and the occasional defect, these transmission can last 10+ years. Upgrade to a hydrostatic that is user friendly serviceable and you can last 20 years or more. Its just me but if I were spending your money, and I had to get a John Deere for whatever reason, I would be looking at the X300 line or better. It's not to say that the lower models are bad, but considering that the E series is built to a price point more than it is features and durability, that should tell you something. The S240 falls in the middle, but with the sales that Deere does in the spring, the X300 series is just a couple hundred more.

NorthBama

Threads
Mowing .25 acres every week of the summer on a perfectly flat lawn and following all of the manufacturers recommendations such as always running at full throttle while moving and allowing the trans to warm up and cool down when the time is appropriate will allow a K46 to last a decent amount of time. Outside of abuse and the occasional defect, these transmission can last 10+ years. Upgrade to a hydrostatic that is user friendly serviceable and you can last 20 years or more. Its just me but if I were spending your money, and I had to get a John Deere for whatever reason, I would be looking at the X300 line or better. It's not to say that the lower models are bad, but considering that the E series is built to a price point more than it is features and durability, that should tell you something. The S240 falls in the middle, but with the sales that Deere does in the spring, the X300 series is just a couple hundred more.

I agree i like the X300 series much more than the 100 series

bh1971

Threads
So does the 300 series still have the same K46 transmission as the E130, or S240? If so whats the advantage over the 240? Also i dont see any yet, when during the spring does John Deere usually have mowers on sale?

gotomow

Threads
So does the 300 series still have the same K46 transmission as the E130, or S240? If so whats the advantage over the 240? Also i dont see any yet, when during the spring does John Deere usually have mowers on sale?

The X330 & X350 both use the K46 hydro. Right now the 330 & 350 are on sale $200 off list. So with the S240 at $2599 and the X330 at $2799 and the X350 at $3099 it makes sense to drive them all. There is a huge difference between the 300 series and the 100 and 240. The 300 series has a much beefier frame and way better steering than the 100-240 series. You also move up to the 4 year warranty with the 300. I'll most likely end up with one of the 300's.

gotomow

Threads
Guess I missed this before but it looks like the JD PowerGard extended warranties for the 100 series are on sale also. Hmmm, looks like some pretty good savings, that will make the 100 series even more competitive.