Help..Need advice on what John Deere model mower to buy.

cruzenmike

Threads
  • / Help..Need advice on what John Deere model mower to buy.
I could be wrong but I had read somewhere that there are a large number of variations of the K46 and the X300 series with the K46 does not have the same k46 as the E180 for example. You could verify this simply by comparing the part numbers of the hydrostatics for both models?

gotomow

Threads
I could be wrong but I had read somewhere that there are a large number of variations of the K46 and the X300 series with the K46 does not have the same k46 as the E180 for example. You could verify this simply by comparing the part numbers of the hydrostatics for both models?

I agree. JD does state that some models have a heavy duty hydro and yet it is listed as a k46. So I do feel that you are correct. Some owners say that by changing the hydro fluid regularly, performance and longevity are increased.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the size of your yard, any of the mowers listed is overkill.
The K46 tranny is good for around 1000 hours
For your block that would be better than 1000 mows
assuming 30 mows a year you are looking at about 30 years from the trans
How old are your now ?
If you have dodgy knees then consider a Rear Engine Rider with a small deck
Even a 24" deck will knock over your yard in less than 1 hour

A V twin engine will last a lot longer than a single cylinder due to better engine balance.
They are usually quieter to boot and less vibrations means fewer cracks in the mower.

Is there any reason why it has to be a JD ?
For small flat yards, the articulated mowers can not be beaten.
The Husqvarna Rider-Pro , Jonsored , Stiga or Countax.
All of them do a timed small mulching deck that is absolutely brilliant
The articulated mower will get into every nook & cranny once you get used to driving it.
The up front deck means you can always see both sides of the deck all the time
They are very easy on consummables.
On the 1/4 acre blocks around here most will do 5+ years on a set of blades and some in my contract are still using the same belts as they were when I took over 6 yeas ago.

Finally if you have to go for a JD look at the small ZTR 225? again with the 36" deck.
If your knees are bad then a no legs needed mower might be worth while.

We do not get all the mowers down here that you get up there but the only small ZTR I would spend money on would the JD or Toro Timecutters.
All the rest I work on are trash or as I call them TDLF ( Temporary Diverted Land Fill )

gotomow

Threads
I myself am going to drive all of them before I buy anything. The E130 I was originally set on buying would be just $2332.00. That would include a total of 6 years bumper to bumper PowerGard warranty. I'm still waffling between that and the s240 and the x330 & 350, lol.

gotomow

Threads
We don't see many, if any articulated mowers here in the States. I have looked at the Timecutter and for me needing the bagger system the Toro is expensive. On the Timecutter it's over twice the price of a bagger for a 100 series or the s240. The 42" (107 cm) TimeCutter® SS4225 (74726) is $2599 & the bagger goes for $679 extra. The E130 is $1999 + $300 for the bagger. For my yard both are overkill but I'm 64 and tired of walking behind my Honda, especially during leaf season. Just about any riding mower would be a life saver for fall leaf pickup.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The thing that becomes a problem in confined spaces is the Mow In Reverse lock out system.
In a small yard you end up doing a lot of reversing.
Some mowers simply allow you to override the system by the key position, others have you pushing in a button, & holding it in every time you go into reverse.
This is going to drive you crazy.
Then there is the way it works.
Some MIR system just turn off the blades so all you have to do is turn the blades off then on again.
Others kill the engine so it is stop, set the brake, turn off the blades then start the engine then turn on the blades.
This will cause a lot of pain in you knees, from continually kicking the mower in frustration.:laughing:

Go for a mower with electric blade clutch

cruzenmike

Threads
I will never say that it is wise to bypass a safety feature on a mower, buy many have defeated the mow in reverse lockout on the X300 with a simple wire jumper. The safety feature itself is no replacement being cautious. If you have small children it can literally be a life saver, and if you don't it can be a pain in the back side.

As for the warranties on the mower, you are in a situation where to be honest you would extend a warranty on a mower that you may be more likely to need vs having a shorter warranty on a machine that you may never need to use. Like you said, you are going to try them all which is smart. I have a feeling that if you get on and drive an E series and then an X series, you will have a hard time choosing the E series just based on the difference in build quality.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to bag then that makes things a bit different.
In small yards, a bagger with a chute hanging off one side can make the mower very difficult to mount & dismount .
Then there is the bagger itself getting hung up on every protrusion in your yard.
In confined spaces a rear discharge deck is a God send.

Articulated mowers do not bag particulary well

gotomow

Threads
Beautiful sunny day here. Drove them all and came away loving the X350 the most. However, and it's a big however I'm not smitten with the bagger on the X series. The bagger is not as easy to mount and remove as the E series. Since the bagger plays a big role in my yard I'm very certain that the S240, which I did also love will suit my needs. The S240 uses the same easy mounting bagger as the E series and that Kawasaki engine is super smooth and quiet. I'm still waiting for my tax refund, and I'm waiting until the 1st of April to see if JD sweetens the buying experience of the S240 a little. Pretty sure there is an S240 in my future!

bh1971

Threads
I think im going Sat morning to JD dealer. So gotomow have you heard anything that there might be incentives upcoming on the S240 in April? Would dealer know, and if so would he let us know to wait a few more weeks?