Oil Leak

DellN

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model917.28927 with Automatic Transmission that has an oil leak from under the engine. What might be the cause and how do I stop it? Thanks for your help. Dell

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum! :smile:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section to see if we can find you some more advice.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it sounds like lower crankshaft seal. Your mower should have a 24 HP Briggs in which you will need the model number off of the engine to find the part number for this seal. You will have to remove the mower deck and engine drive pulley to remove and replace this seal. Not too bad of a job.

DellN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all of you for your help. I now know what I have to do to fix the leak with a new seal. How ever has anyone of you used a stop leak product such as "AT-205 Re-Seal" with any success to fix this kind of problem?
Thanks again for your help. Dell

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never seen a "Repair In A Bottle" product work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks to all of you for your help. I now know what I have to do to fix the leak with a new seal. How ever has anyone of you used a stop leak product such as "AT-205 Re-Seal" with any success to fix this kind of problem?
Thanks again for your help. Dell

Why not give it a try. :thumbsup: Never tried it because having a repair shop I would just replace the seal.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why not give it a try. :thumbsup: Never tried it because having a repair shop I would just replace the seal.

Haven't seen you round for a while, hope you are well.
The snake oil might be a bit cheaper over there but down here most of those bottles of goo are better than 1/2 the price of an oil seal.
That makes replacing the seals a no brainer.