Perished rubber casing on fuel supply, ok?

Mudfeet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was getting our old MTD J136 sit on ready for spring and noticed a section of the fuel pipe looked like this (see attachment). I’m guessing I didn’t notice it the last few years. Is it ok to use? I assume it’s an outer layer, there’s no leak. Or is it easy to replace by just unclippjng this section at either end?

66FF59BE-1079-4817-B806-EE04487C10C7.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Definitely replace. It can leak and case a fire hazard but can also be sending degraded bits into your carburetor. Yes just unclip. Sometimes they will be hard to pull off the connectors. I use a utility knife to carefully slit them. Should be able to get replacement line sold by the foot at any auto parts or mower shop.

Mudfeet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply Darryl.

I’m not much of an engine guy, as you can tell! I noticed this section of fuel line, after the orange part (a filter?) appears to be of a larger diameter than the first section. Also it’s only this second, thicker, section that is perished, the first line coming from base of fuel tank seems fine. Is that normal? Also the white block on picture, that the pipe is connected to, I assume you just push the new line on to it?

Mkala

Threads
Hello,

Yes as stated before to replace before starting new season.

The white plastic part looks like this : https://goo.gl/images/uXhCvE
This can be quite hard to remove, hose stick on it after few years. Cutting is a good way to avoid breaking it, as you hose is more than dead anyway...

Yes the pale red is a fuel filter, replace it as long are you are there. If the other section of fuel line is good don't bother with it, unless it is easy to reach the other end.
For different diameter don't know, perhaps already replaced before ? Find line with exact same inside diameter, and if you can outside too so you clamp fit (if not buy new spring clamp - they works great on these small hoses).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To add to what has already been said.
The white plastic fuel elbow gets very brittle from sun exposure so don't go twisting it to get the hose off.
The red fuel filter will slip right into the hose but the old hose will have stretched so nip 1/2 off the fuel line from the tank and make the front hose !/2 longer.