Troy-Bilt 33" Walk Behind 8.5 hp Engine Mounting

Threads
The 4 engine-mounting bolts have become loose. I tipped the mower on its side and tightened the 2 forward bolts. I don't see how to tighten the 2 rear bolts because they are directly above the transaxle. I'd really like to remove all the bolts, clean them and apply Loctite and then reassemble. What are the steps for a good procedure for this? I expect I should drain the oil and gas first. I wonder if I need to drop the transaxle.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
try replacing with self locking nuts.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could you possibly remove the wheels and get to them? Does the trans move up and down with a height adjustment? Just guessing here.

Threads
I lightened the bolts like this:

Drain the fuel tank:
Loosen clamp from fuel line to carburetor inlet.
Remove the hose. This is difficult because the plastic connector has 3 barbs. I found it useful to not just pull but also insert and twist a flat screw driver blade to push the end of the hose off.
Put your finger on the end as soon as it comes off.
Pull the hose through the fuel tank support bracket. Release your finger from the hose momentarily. Drain the fuel into your fuel can.
Drain the oil following standard Troy-Bolt procedure. I drained mine into a clean milk jug.
Close the drain.
Tilt the mower onto it's side.
Careful, it is heavy. I lifted on the tire and deck.
I balanced/supported the air cleaner on a 7.5" stoop.
Tighten the bolts:
The 2 forward bolts are accessible with a 14 mm socket on a long extension.
The left rear bolt was accessible from behind with great difficulty. I think I used a 2" extension.
The right rear bolt needs a short 12-point box wrench to turn it. An idler pulley prevents the use of a socket. I didn't have a short wrench so I just left it.
Right the mower.
Pull over and balance it holding the tire and handle.
Refill the oil.
Refill the fuel.

To apply Loctite would require removing the bolts to clean them. To do this, it looks like the controls need to be disconnected, belts removed and transaxle dropped. That was more than I wanted to do this time.