Buying Advice gravely vs spartan

john83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to by a new mower. I'm undecided on the deck size right now between a 52 or 60 but. I'm mainly looking for opinions between a gravely pro turn 100 series and a spartan Rt-Hd. Does anyone have one or the other or tested both that can give advice. I like gravely for the fact they've been around forever but spartan is a new company that offers what to me seems like higher quality parts for a cheaper price but they haven't been around long enough to see how reliable they will be.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spartin is a much better built machine.
It has parker drives compared to HYDRO-GEAR ZT-3400 and many more things. Just go look at the 2 and you will see the difference.

john83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like them both. The only reason I'm hesitant about the spartan is because they are new. Just secure knowing I'll be able to get parts for the gravely 10 to 15 years from more

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spartan has had some serious issues with cut quality and their deck suspension system. There's a good bit of discussion about the cut quality problems on a large professional "lawnsite". There's also a video on Spartan's YouTube page about the deck suspension issues. Basically, if not adjusted and lubricated just so, the deck can drop down to dirt suddenly or stick high when the deck rollers lift it over an obstacle.

Just something to be aware of. I know that they very activitely try to resolve any issues with their machines and they look so cool, lol.

john83

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's what I'm worried about. I'm leaning more toward gravely. They're well established and proving mowers. I like Spartans but just don't wanna spend that amount and be stuck with a mower that has issues that they'll fix on the next year model. Think they are still to new to be issue free. Might just get a gravely. You know what your getting and they've been doing it for 100 years

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Valid point of view for sure. Spartans were tempting to me when I was in the market for a new Z 2 years ago, but I'm in the Northeast USA where their dealer network is very sparse, so it wasn't really an option. I ended up buying a Bob-Cat, largely due to an excellent nearby dealer. But Spartans have some cool features and their price point is very attractive. You can custom order one however you want it equipped, and the options are many. I wouldn't want to try to re-sell one...

Last edited:

john83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found a 2018 srt-hd 61in for 7500 out the door. I think I might get it

john83

Forum Newbie
Threads
And it's got the 32hp van guard on it

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a lot of machine for that price. Tempting isn't it? I paid just shy of $8,900 out the door for my Bob-Cat Fastcat Pro 52 incher with 22 HP Kawi and the HG3400 transmission 2 years ago. That's including an extra $250 to swap out the stock seat with the suspension seat from the higher models. Granted, my dealer doesn't discount much.