Fouind a NIB short block today. Where and how do I begin?

franchi

Threads
  • / Fouind a NIB short block today. Where and how do I begin?
Hi All:

Now that I have a new short block, what is the best way to proceed to swap it onto my old mower? I am asking as to avoid mistakes. Are there definite steps that must be carried out in a specific order? IIs there posts here or other sources that I may refer to make this as easy as possible?

Tia,

Franchi

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First, you need to tell us brands, model numbers, and short block part number.

For any idea on where to start.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start first with the brand and model of your mower, etc.

Also brand and part number of this shortblock......

franchi

Threads
Hello All:

I guess that I did indeed omit some useful information.

It is Lawnboy Model 5024 circa 1975. Perhaps a Brick top. Serial number 8038263

The short block has only the letters CDC cast into it. There is nothing else to identify the SB.

I just noticed that there are three chipped cooling fins on one corner of the block. I would guess that it fell on a concrete floor causing this damage. I hope that there is no other damage.

Any other comments or questioned welcomed!

Thanks for the replies,

Franchi

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a project I'm not familiar with I usually take lots of pictures. I always think I'll remember what goes where, until I actually start putting stuff together. I like to clean everything. Good cleaner is Purple Cleaner, hard on skin but not solvent based, washes off with water. Take a bolt out, put it back in the old block when possible until you actually need it. One nice thing, these engines are pretty simple. Hardest part might be getting the blade adapter off. Have you actually checked that the crank is bent and not the blade or adapter bent?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a project I'm not familiar with I usually take lots of pictures. I always think I'll remember what goes where, until I actually start putting stuff together. I like to clean everything. Good cleaner is Purple Cleaner, hard on skin but not solvent based, washes off with water. Take a bolt out, put it back in the old block when possible until you actually need it. One nice thing, these engines are pretty simple. Hardest part might be getting the blade adapter off. Have you actually checked that the crank is bent and not the blade or adapter bent?

As T3 stated ... PICTURES .. LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of pictures, they become UR memory(Manual) !! .. :thumbsup:

Lawnboy77

Threads
Here is link to the LB manuals for your mower. Just read and get familiar with all the applicable sections. No worries, we'll walk you through it. Take a few pics of the short block and we can probably tell you whether or not it's what you need. Someone mentioned verifying the crank is actually bent, as opposed to the adapter, or blade. That's a good call, because those two items could cause the vibration as well and would be much easier fixes for sure. Your cylinder part number for a D-400 should be 678106, it's usually ink stamped on one of the cylinder fins on the end.

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/Acrobat/manuals/lball.html

franchi

Threads
Hi Lawnboy77 et.al:

Thanks for all of the replies. I doubt that I will have too many problems doing this job. I have always valued the experiences that others have had when doing a task. There is noting like experience!

Yes, it is the shaft that is bent as one can observe the end of the shaft that has been centre drilled orbits about the centre of the shaft. This looks to be about 1/8" in total runout.

I was under the impression that the manufacturers of rotary mowers stopped using hardened shafts and blades in the late 50's for safety reasons.

All of the best,

Franchi

Lawnboy77

Threads
Hi Lawnboy77 et.al:

Thanks for all of the replies. I doubt that I will have too many problems doing this job. I have always valued the experiences that others have had when doing a task. There is noting like experience!

Yes, it is the shaft that is bent as one can observe the end of the shaft that has been centre drilled orbits about the centre of the shaft. This looks to be about 1/8" in total runout.

I was under the impression that the manufacturers of rotary mowers stopped using hardened shafts and blades in the late 50's for safety reasons.

All of the best,

Franchi

Okay sounds like you definitely nailed it down to shaft runout. As far hardened steel goes I don't think the blades would be by any stretch since we use common files to sharpen them. Those cranks are a whole different animal though...I've tried to file an index mark on the bottom end of the crank to make it easier to index the blade in relation to the crank for balance purposes and had zero luck even making a scratch in those.

Just a tip on the process of switching the mag plate over to the new shortblock; make sure you don't lose any of the needle bearings and make sure to use some thick bearing grease to hold them in place during reassembly. One other thing that folks always question is; Why does the new shortblock kit come with two different mag plate-to-crankcase gaskets? and the answer is; they are different thicknesses, so use whichever one gives you the best crankshaft end play.

Last edited: