Repairing 11.5hp rusty briggs

KenS

Threads
It looks like a nice engine, is this a powerbuilt or I/C ?
As Scrubcadet10 ask, it can determine if it has a cast iron sleeve. You can test with a weak magnet inside the cylinder (not too strong, this can leave magnetization and scratch when remove it)

Yes sir. It does have a cast iron sleeve in it. Not sure of powerbuilt or I/C.

Mkala

Threads
Thanks for information ! :smile: Still a nice engine even without cast sleeve, and this saved the cylinder to rust. Probably not a Powerbuilt without sleeve (and not an I/C).
Were you able to free up the rings ?

KenS

Threads
@Mkala it does have the cast sleeve. I did get the rings off (in pieces). Got new rings in today and will install them tonight.
One more question... Is it OK to use a heavy gear oil 80w to re-assemble the engine with? I don't have any special grease or lube.
TIA,
Ken

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I wouldn't see anything wrong with it
Assembly lube is best if the engine would sit before starting.
10w30 engine oil would be good.

Mkala

Threads
@Mkala it does have the cast sleeve. I did get the rings off (in pieces). Got new rings in today and will install them tonight.
One more question... Is it OK to use a heavy gear oil 80w to re-assemble the engine with? I don't have any special grease or lube.
TIA,
Ken

Ha sorry I misread ! So it's nice the cylinder has not any rust, especially considering valve state. But for you it's even better, definitely worth it working on this motor ! :thumbsup:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Thanks for information ! :smile: Still a nice engine even without cast sleeve, and this saved the cylinder to rust. Probably not a Powerbuilt without sleeve (and not an I/C).
Were you able to free up the rings ?

Didn't you see the model number, this is an OHV engine.

Walt Conner

Mkala

Threads

Tinkerer200

Threads
The link you furnished did not work however I did find such an engine and it specified cast iron cylinder liner which is contrary to the traditional Power Built engines which were aluminum bore. I have never seen nor heard of a Power Built OHV engine before.

Walt Conner