One cylinder not firing on 407777 0167 E1

bill2019

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman lt1000 tractor with a briggs and stratton 407777 0167 E1 . One cylinder fires fine. I replaced the coil on the non-firing cylinder and it still will not fire. I am getting spark. I tested it with a spark tester and observed the spark plug sparking against the engine. I put it gas and starting fluid, but the bad cylinder still would not kick. I am not sure why it would not fire at least once. I have not yet took off the valve cover because it has been so cold. I did put a compression gauge on the cylinder and it seemed to get at least 90lbs.

Any ideas? Why would it not at least kick with starting fluid? At least once?

Threads
I have a Craftsman lt1000 tractor with a briggs and stratton 407777 0167 E1 . One cylinder fires fine. I replaced the coil on the non-firing cylinder and it still will not fire. I am getting spark. I tested it with a spark tester and observed the spark plug sparking against the engine. I put it gas and starting fluid, but the bad cylinder still would not kick. I am not sure why it would not fire at least once. I have not yet took off the valve cover because it has been so cold. I did put a compression gauge on the cylinder and it seemed to get at least 90lbs.

Any ideas? Why would it not at least kick with starting fluid? At least once?
If the coil you put on there is a good known coil, it very well could be a blown diode..... There should be 2 diodes on yours..... 1 for each coil... The diode should be covered with heat shrink tubing..... It is inline with the kill wire.. The diodes let juice pass 1 way , but not the other....... If any amount of voltage hits a coil it's dead.........
You can check it with a volt meter on the continuity part of the tester.. unplug the kill wire from the coil and where the 2 wires meet the plug connector... You check one way then swap your meter leads and check it .... If you have the BEEP style meter that's better... If it beeps both ways it's bad, if it doesn't beep both ways it's bad.... It should beep only one way....

Let us know Mon Ami ............

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you need to remove that valve cover, likely dropped a pushrod or something.

bill2019

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the coil you put on there is a good known coil, it very well could be a blown diode..... There should be 2 diodes on yours..... 1 for each coil... The diode should be covered with heat shrink tubing..... It is inline with the kill wire.. The diodes let juice pass 1 way , but not the other....... If any amount of voltage hits a coil it's dead.........
You can check it with a volt meter on the continuity part of the tester.. unplug the kill wire from the coil and where the 2 wires meet the plug connector... You check one way then swap your meter leads and check it .... If you have the BEEP style meter that's better... If it beeps both ways it's bad, if it doesn't beep both ways it's bad.... It should beep only one way....

Let us know Mon Ami ............

Boudeaux,

Thank you for the response.

The coil i put on was a new one, so i don't think it is the coil. I tested the coil and the spark plug sparks against the engine and an inline spark tester shows a spark.

Bill

Threads
Boudeaux,

Thank you for the response.

The coil i put on was a new one, so i don't think it is the coil. I tested the coil and the spark plug sparks against the engine and an inline spark tester shows a spark.

Bill
Oh ok so you are getting spark gotcha.... Yep do like Fish said and pull that valve cover .......

bill2019

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update.

I opened the valve cover and the intake (aluminum) rod fell out. It was bent, but not worn. I was afraid the exhaust (steel) rod, was in the engine, but it was visible and using a magnet, i was able to pull it out. It was bent and badly worn. I noticed that the exhaust spring was tight and the sleeve was extended. I bought a used cylinder head and new rods, but have not put on yet.

So i learned that spark and gas still might not fire if the valves are locked. Hopefully, i can put the new rods in and used cylinder head on and will be good to go.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you are getting there....