starter works intermittently on walk behind

bkvanbek

Threads
Every thing that adds a complication also adds another potential problem.
Outdoor equipment makers are being held hostage by the pollution Nazis
None of them want to fit auto chokes they are a lot more expensive that a few feet of bowden cable and a thumb lever or over reach lever on the throttle control.

Auto chokes give me a lot of grief regardless of what brand or what piece of equipment.

If you remember your physics, liquids get more dense as the temperature drops.
And metals contract as they get colder
Below 40 deg, the contraction in the main jet in the carb can not account for the increase density of the fuel .
This has the same effect as fitting a bigger main jet and allows the engine to run richer, closer to what it should run.
However running at a proper fuel:air ratio puts the exhaust outside the allowable emission limit so you the customer get told not to run the engine below 40 deg.

The engine will happily run down to around -40 by which time fuel will not flow under gravity at -60 the fuel will freeze in a metal float bowl.

But as your mind appears to be closed you will never be happy with the unit so sell it as soon as possible to some one who will appreciate the equipment.

I agree with you Every thing that adds a complication also adds another potential problem. But this was never a mower I was going to use, it is my mothers.