What about a short block for a D engine? Price interchngeability etc?

franchi

Threads
  • / What about a short block for a D engine? Price interchngeability etc?
I talked to a dealer today and she suggested that she could sell me a short block for my Brick Top for a "good price." If true, what is a good price and how can I determine if I have the correct short block for my engine? Are the internals close enough that the sb would interchange? Perhaps I could use the "other" parts fo enable me to muse the short block. All I need is a straight crank. The engine runs great but vibrates excessively.

Where may I find a parts list that I may compare part numbers?

Tia,

Franchi

Lawnboy77

Threads
Here is a link to the short blocks for various Lawnboy engines. You can use this in conjunction with the parts catalogue to determine whether or not the Short block will work for you. If you are talking non self-propel models of D-400 bricks there are basically 2 different SBs. One with the extended snout crankcase (pre 1970s, or commercial D-400) pn# 678271 and the single bronze bushing crankcase (post 1970 residential) pn# 681526. Those 2 SB are interchangeable. The extended snout is considered an upgrade and will work with most muffler plates that the D-400 came with, just compare your muffler plate with a commercial D-400 and if yours has the same part number you are golden.
Edit: just noticed your previous thread that states model 5024, so what I stated up top is applicable. Your muffler plate will accept either SBs. As for internal differences, pre 1970 has plain bearings in wrist pins and the post 1970 engine has needle bearings. Fuel oil ratios are rated different as well.

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/Acrobat/manuals/lball62.pdf

Here is a link to the parts catalogue I use for my model 5024, D-433 bricktop.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/law...ine-parts-list-models-used-on-5024-5064-7024/

Last edited:

franchi

Threads
Hi Lawnboy77:

Thanks for the reply!!

Franchi