Am I wrong to like this Cub Cadet Zero Turn so much??

cruzenmike

Threads
  • / Am I wrong to like this Cub Cadet Zero Turn so much??
I am new to the thread, but I have also been looking at the new Cub Cadet ZT1 (50") and ZT2 (50") zero degree mower. I have did a comparison to the Gravely ZT-X-52, Hustler Raptor Limited (52"), and the Ariens IKON X 52. They all are about the same price point and features. I know the new the Cub Cadet ZT1 is a new model, so there is really not a lot of information available on it's dependability. However, it appears Cub Cadet tried to take the best features of the mowers at this price point in the ZT model. I was wanting to purchase from a Cub Cadet dealer (Easier Warranty Issues), but our local dealer does not have any ZT1 mowers and they are not sure if they will be receiving more any time soon. They do have the ZT2 for about $600 more and they are saying it is a better mower just based on the transmission of the ZT2. Our local Home Depot does have the ZT1 model, but they are selling like hot cakes. One of my concerns is the 3 year warranty. The local dealer stated that they will not do warranty work on the mower if it is not purchased from them. If that is true, how do I get warranty work done if I purchase the mower form Home Depot? I do not want to be in a position where I have to send the mower back to the manufacture for warranty work if needed. My second question is the ZT2 worth paying additional $600?

Do yourself a favor and get the ZT2 from the dealer. Although the warranty is only 3 years on both models, that is not bad considering that some entry level ZTT models from other manufacturers only offer 2 years. Also, the ZT2 does have serviceable transmissions which go a long way in terms on longevity so long as you maintain them. Also. I believe the ZT2 will have wider tires which will help with the ruts. And in the end, the dealer will be your "go to" for if you do actually need any warranty service.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was at my Exmark dealer earlier this week for some parts and they're also a Cub Cadet dealer. I checked out the Z1 and Z2 they had out on display, and I have to agree that they appear to be well made machines and an excellent value and likewise lean towards the Z2. Mind you this is just from a visual inspection and spec comparison. I do think it's worth upgrading to the Z2 for the upgraded transmission (and slightly faster ground speed), adjustable seat with armrests, the wider 4 ply vs 2 ply rear tires, bigger front casters and tires and the beefier deck edge guard. I also like that the Z2 is Kawisaki-powered across the board.

gotomow

Threads
I am new to the thread, but I have also been looking at the new Cub Cadet ZT1 (50") and ZT2 (50") zero degree mower. I have did a comparison to the Gravely ZT-X-52, Hustler Raptor Limited (52"), and the Ariens IKON X 52. They all are about the same price point and features. I know the new the Cub Cadet ZT1 is a new model, so there is really not a lot of information available on it's dependability. However, it appears Cub Cadet tried to take the best features of the mowers at this price point in the ZT model. I was wanting to purchase from a Cub Cadet dealer (Easier Warranty Issues), but our local dealer does not have any ZT1 mowers and they are not sure if they will be receiving more any time soon. They do have the ZT2 for about $600 more and they are saying it is a better mower just based on the transmission of the ZT2. Our local Home Depot does have the ZT1 model, but they are selling like hot cakes. One of my concerns is the 3 year warranty. The local dealer stated that they will not do warranty work on the mower if it is not purchased from them. If that is true, how do I get warranty work done if I purchase the mower form Home Depot? I do not want to be in a position where I have to send the mower back to the manufacture for warranty work if needed. My second question is the ZT2 worth paying additional $600?

Ask at Home Depot where you would obtain warranty work. You could also call Cub Cadet customer service and ask them the same question.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few thoughts for perspective zero turn mower owners:
ZTRs are dusty by nature of design. The engine area gets particularly dusty.
The Kawasaki FR engines are regarded as homeowner grade and have a marginal air filtration system.
The FS engines are considered commercial grade and have an improved air filtration system.
The FX engines have the dual element canister Donaldson air filtration system. The 2 barrel carbs on FX engines are setup to work with the Donaldson canister air filter as it is more restrictive to air flow.
Adding a canister filter to FR and FS engines can be done, but will void the warranty and the parts are costly.

Threads
Have not see a cubby yet that does not developed wiring short problems.

There are 3 cubby dealers around our area, they keep us busy with repairs.
The Ferris is a far better machine, thats why we sell them.

Scags take a beating and keep working. We have guys that beat them until they break therm.

gotomow

Threads
The Kawasaki FR engines are regarded as homeowner grade and have a marginal air filtration system.
The FS engines are considered commercial grade and have an improved air filtration system.
The FX engines have the dual element canister Donaldson air filtration system. The 2 barrel carbs on FX engines are setup to work with the Donaldson canister air filter as it is more restrictive to air flow.
Adding a canister filter to FR and FS engines can be done, but will void the warranty and the parts are costly.

Exactly why I pulled the trigger on a JD X350 today. I also got the bagging system for my multitude of leaves and decided a ZTR was not the way for me.

cruzenmike

Threads

While "commercial" mowers and the engines that typically power them have better filtration systems, these are not necessary for most home owners mowing just grass. Start getting into mowing over very dry, Dusty land or for 5+ acres a week and that filtration system will be loaded with debris. I put 50+ hours a year on my ZTR and my filter shows very little debris. I admit, doing everything you can to keep the air, fuel and oil clean will help to ensure proper operation and many years if service, but at some point too much is too much considering what each user is doing with the equipment.

Lawn Addict
Threads

The FS Kawasaki's have a screened air filter & foam pre-filter, I was using that on mine since new. Not really a big diff than the FR air filter.

But I don't use either anymore.

fixit1ddh

Threads
Back in spring of 2017 I bought 2 RZT L54 with Kohler 24hp. They were 2800$ each not bad the Wife & I both mow together at times and with over lap cut 100 inches a pass My right and Her left front tire I had to plug. That's it other then changing oil greasing & sharpen blades. Have been great, I expect them to way out live us. We also mow between 5 to 7 acres. I have 400 hours. And She has 300 hours on Hers. We got rid of our tractors because they were getting very hard to turn for us old people.