Am I wrong to like this Cub Cadet Zero Turn so much??

JBdawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Am I wrong to like this Cub Cadet Zero Turn so much??
Please take a look at one of Cub Cadets brand new Zero Turn offers in 2019:

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/...ltima-series/cub-cadet-zt2-50-rzt-17RIEACO010

This is honestly the set up I have been looking for when taking into account the PRICE, deck size(50"), tire sizes (Rear 20x12x10), engine(Kawi), blade count (3), and transmission(ZT-2800). I have a little over an acre of a mostly flat lawn to cut once a week in Southwest Tennessee. I plan on taking very good care of my ZT but I also want it to last me 10+ years.

I'm curious as to what would be the main criticisms to a set up like this and what my worries should be in regards to investing in the Cub Cadet brand. It looks pretty solid to me as far as frame strength (2"x2" tubular steel). Deck from what I understand is 11 gauge "fabricated" so that should be pretty good. Blade speed I think came in at between 14k-16k RPM's? That seemed low because it seems everyone wants the 18k.

Basically i'm wondering how they got the price so low as compared to other brands. $3700 just seems really right for this set up. Where did they cut corners?? It's a 600 lb machine and LED headlights and a trailer hitch are standard on this model.

Can I trust a Cub Cadet at this price point or should I stick with my original leans towards the Gravely (probably the ZT XL but i'm bugged by the deck sizes (42" or 52")...i could really use something in between that!!), or the Scag Liberty Z 48 inch. The Gravely and Scag are going to cost me more. The ZT XL with a Kawi i think is only $300 more (8 inches less deck) and the Scag will be about $750 more expensive. If i step up the the Gravely ZT HD it will be another $1,200 and that would get me the 3100 transmission and I could get my 48" deck size). All three have great warranties but my biggest issue for repair service would the the CC. Just a little further away but not a big deal. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

cruzenmike

Threads
Spending any amount of money doesn't necessarily guarantee you anything except for the warranty that comes with the machine. Then engine will usually carry it's own warranty and on the machines you mention it is about 3 years. The Cub Cadet also carries some extra warranties on the frame and deck if I remember correctly. But other than the 3 year warranty stated on most of their mowers, you are responsible for everything outside of what the warranty covers (wear and tear) and will also be responsible for maintaining the equipment so that they (Cub, Hydrogear, Kawasaki) honor their limited warranties.

For what Cub Cadet is selling the ZT2 50 for, it is an exceptional deal. It is easily priced hundreds below most of the competition. I would put the Ferris 400S next to this with comparable features, but where you gain the suspension on the Ferris and a slightly better warranty (4 years/500 hours vs 3 years/unlimited hours), you would sacrifice 1.5 hp in the engine. You could have your 48" deck in the Ferris and you get a higher ground speed of 8 mph vs 7.5 on the Cub Cadet. I am not sure about blade tip speed differences, but typically the manufacturer sets the blade dip speed wherever it needs to be to provide an adequate cut at the maximum ground speed with all factors favorable to achieving a good cut (e.g. grass is dry, no more than 1/3 blade being cut off, etc.). A higher blade tip speed is needed for machines with higher ground speeds and will perform better under adverse mowing conditions, hence why most commercial mowers approach the ANSI limit of 19,200.

As for the brand Cub Cadet, they are certainly no the machines they were years ago, but like most manufacturers selling to the average consumer/homeowner, they are selling to a price/feature set. Other brands sell their reputation and quality; this is why Exmark can demand premium prices for their equipment. If you could know for certain that spending an extra $1,200 now would save you that much or more over the course of ownership, you might do it. But since there are no guarantees you have to first buy what you can afford, and second buy what you want. If luck has it, you will have a good running machine in 10 years.

JBdawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
@cruzenmike thank you for your kind response. I definitely appreciate what you are saying. Thanks!

cruzenmike

Threads
@cruzenmike thank you for your kind response. I definitely appreciate what you are saying. Thanks!

Not a problem. It is really confusing for new users to get into the world of ZTRs, especially when there are so many options out there. There are a handful of mowers that are re-branded versions of each other and then you have the "company branded" engines that make many people feel uneasy. The best thing that a perspective buyer can do is test drive them. I would recommend everyone in the market for any rider-type mower, ZTRs included, to go out and give them a try. It may require a trip to the dealer to test drive one but at least then you can determine if you even like it. A good and reputable dealer should let you get on one, start it up and drive it around. Some larger dealers during the warmer months will even let you cut grass with their demo models.

Being a ZT2 and only being available from a dealer, you also have the option in some cases of extended warranty and service plans as well as a resource for care and maintenance. A good relationship with your dealer can go a long way.

dmenn

Threads
I've been extensively researching zero turn mowers over the past several months as I plan to make a purchase soon. I like the idea of stepping up to the ZT-2800 hydro (however, it may not be necessary for my ~.75 acre lawn), and when comparing all of the zero turns with the ZT-2800, the new Cub Cadet Ultima ZT2 seems like a great deal compared to others. I've looked up the Scag Liberty Z, Ferris 400S, Gravely ZT-XL, and Hustler SD since they all have a dealer in my area. The Cub Cadet seems to have similar specs, especially on the big ticket items (hydro, Kawi engine), comes with many things standard (like a tow hitch and LED headlights), and a pretty good warranty.

I'm waiting for my local Cub Cadet dealer to have both a ZT1 and ZT2 in stock so I can compare both and check them out. They currently only have a couple different ZT1 models right now. I'll let you know how I make out.

Good luck!

gotomow

Threads
Take a look at the 50" TimeCutter® MX5025 (74776). At $3599 it's the model that Cub Cadet is going up against. The Toro has the same engine and a fabricated deck. The Toro does come with ZT-2200 Hydros but for your flat 1 acre lot I don't see this as a big deal. The Toro's blade speed is 18,330 ft/min. Compare the two for features, go sit on them and hopefully drive them and then decide. I think you will find out the Cub is a nice ZTR, just like the Toro, both are worth looking at.

JBdawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys for all the responses

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet BUT luckily for me I probably have more options I am considering now. Kidding about that

Gravely is putting their Commercial fleet on sale at 20% off starting on March 22. That puts the ProTurn Z 52 inch on my radar because that would put it at similar pricing to the Gravely ZT HD. And Consider this....although there is some warranty give up (4yrs or 750 hours on commercial it looks like...which seems doable to me)...It's a commercial mower which should have decent resale value if i decide to sell it in the future. It's tough to sell a residential mower for a wad of cash up front when buyers can just buy brand new and finance it for 48 months. But if you have a true commercial mower it seems to me that you would have much better liquidity and hopefully a quicker sale to someone running a business that does have cash in hand to spend, understands what he is buying, and is getting a true commercial mower at a discount that has been lightly used by a residential owner. I think I have myself talked into that!! Talk me out of it....for my wife's sake

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks guys for all the responses

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet BUT luckily for me I probably have more options I am considering now. Kidding about that

Gravely is putting their Commercial fleet on sale at 20% off starting on March 22. That puts the ProTurn Z 52 inch on my radar because that would put it at similar pricing to the Gravely ZT HD. And Consider this....although there is some warranty give up (4yrs or 750 hours on commercial it looks like...which seems doable to me)...It's a commercial mower which should have decent resale value if i decide to sell it in the future. It's tough to sell a residential mower for a wad of cash up front when buyers can just buy brand new and finance it for 48 months. But if you have a true commercial mower it seems to me that you would have much better liquidity and hopefully a quicker sale to someone running a business that does have cash in hand to spend, understands what he is buying, and is getting a true commercial mower at a discount that has been lightly used by a residential owner. I think I have myself talked into that!! Talk me out of it....for my wife's sake

I have a cousin that does the same thing; he is always "planning" on getting rid of his car or his cell phone and he always justifies what he buys based off of how little money he will lose when he sells it. I can tell you this, he has done nothing but lose money over the years. These machines are not investments themselves, but can be an investment if you use them to make money (and at that point you are actually selling a service; your time). And your comment about commercial mowers being easier to sell, you would be surprised the number of lawn care companies that either lease or finance all of their equipment. You would have to be priced just right and maybe have a small company that operates on cash only or someone who has saved up forever cutting lawns in the neighborhood who might want your mower. Also, just because a mower is used by a homeowner does not necessarily mean it is attractive to a commercial buyer. I know of a small landscaping company in my town that only runs Exmarks, takes really good care of them, gets them all serviced according to the manuals and recommendations and at the end of each season still has machines that any other commercial landscaping would be willing to buy. None of this is to talk you out of what you want, because at the end of the day you simply need to buy what you want, so long as it fits your needs and your budget. If you can make that justification, go ahead; you will end up with a stellar piece of equipment.

gotomow

Threads
Wow, well stated cruzenmike. Around here if you are at all thinking resale then a regular JD lawn tractor commands highest resale, bar none, by far biggest return on your investment. Why? Because they have a huge potential market of buyers. Spending more money for a higher priced ZTR than you need sounds like a money losing proposition waiting to happen. Yes you will have buyers for your fancy commercial unit. Mostly guys looking to swoop in and offer you nothing so they can make a profit. Purchase what you need and not a resale scheme.

DFTiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to the thread, but I have also been looking at the new Cub Cadet ZT1 (50") and ZT2 (50") zero degree mower. I have did a comparison to the Gravely ZT-X-52, Hustler Raptor Limited (52"), and the Ariens IKON X 52. They all are about the same price point and features. I know the new the Cub Cadet ZT1 is a new model, so there is really not a lot of information available on it's dependability. However, it appears Cub Cadet tried to take the best features of the mowers at this price point in the ZT model. I was wanting to purchase from a Cub Cadet dealer (Easier Warranty Issues), but our local dealer does not have any ZT1 mowers and they are not sure if they will be receiving more any time soon. They do have the ZT2 for about $600 more and they are saying it is a better mower just based on the transmission of the ZT2. Our local Home Depot does have the ZT1 model, but they are selling like hot cakes. One of my concerns is the 3 year warranty. The local dealer stated that they will not do warranty work on the mower if it is not purchased from them. If that is true, how do I get warranty work done if I purchase the mower form Home Depot? I do not want to be in a position where I have to send the mower back to the manufacture for warranty work if needed. My second question is the ZT2 worth paying additional $600?