Repairs 1822 Grasshopper

danm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1988 1822 Grasshopper and right side drive will not engage? Any ideas?

BWH

Threads
The 1988 Grasshopper 1822K used a twin right angle gear box connected to a power shaft directly off the front of the engine flywheel to power both orbital motors (hydro units) completely mechanical without belts, first check that both shafts (left and right) going to the orbital motors are turning when the engine is running, the fans should both be turning also.

Both orbital motors share the oil reserve tank so if one side works I'm guessing that you have an oil supply. Do check that the hydraulic tank is at proper level.

The next thing I would check is the jack shafts, chains and sprockets, back in those days they didn't have gear reduction hydro units and had to slow the motor speed down with a series of gear reduction sprockets that worked fine when new but could become a maintenance nightmare when they become worn. you could very well have a chain off or jammed up not allowing the orbital motor to turn.

My first grasshopper was a 1600 which was a early 1980's model I can't remember if it had a hydraulic dump lever that would allow you to move it without the machine running but I don't think so, this could be your problem as well if somehow you moved that lever on that orbital motor. Again I don't think it had that feature on the early models.

Check List:

- Check hydro oil
- Check that the input hydro shaft is turning (fan also)
- Take fender off check that all chains are on sprockets
- If chains are on check that everything is free (not jammed up)