Old Craftsman Mower Won't Go Forward or Backwards

Shawn R.

Threads
  • / Old Craftsman Mower Won't Go Forward or Backwards
This old Craftsman mower won't go forward or backwards. I had it sitting under a tarp for about 8 months and cranked it up today. It cranks up fine and the blade works, just won't move. It was moving just fine 8 months ago. When I checked the oil, I saw that it needed some so I put some in it. It's right at the full mark so I know I didn't overfill it. The oil (I believe) goes into the transmission. I went and got my cousin and we checked the belts up under there. I noticed that the belt that moves the mower felt like it was loose and didn't have any tension but my cousin says that's how it's supposed to be. He thinks the transmission is done... I just don't get how that could be because I worked fine 8 months ago and all it was doing was sitting under a tarp. Anyways, here's a picture of the mower. Model # - 917.271632. What could be the problem?

Mower.jpg

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, are you able to push the mower?
Maybe the parking brake is stuck?

When examining the belts. have someone depress the clutch/brake pedal to see if the belt tension changes.
If not, that could be your problem.

Your drive engages when you let off the brake pedal...(?)
If the belt is not tight when the pedal is released, the belt is worn out, or your clutch pedal linkage is faulty.
There may also be a tension spring to pull on the tensioner pulley. That may have broken.

I do not see anything in the manual as to whether yours is a hydrostatic trans.
If so, it may have a disengagement lever or tab to pull so you can disengage the trans so you cna push.
I do not see mention of that in your manual.

Aside from that, I am currently out of ideas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Your owners manual is available on line form dozens of places, just search 917.271632 manual or similar.
The owners manual for your mower has the parts listing in the back.
With the brake off the top belt should be tight.

This mower has a manual gear box and will run forever provided you never change gears while the mower is moving.
Doing this usually breaks the shift keys part 22 on page 48, ( # 138236 ) they are easy to replace but set aside a full weekend cause they will be a lot of corroded solid bolts and take lots of photos.

If you are lucky it will just be the clutch pulleys frozen or the spring broken or the brake frozen.
Pull the right rear wheel off and check the brake disc is free & rotates when the axel is rotated or the drive pulley ( under the battery ) is rotated .
Fairly common for it to rust solid.

If the disc turns freely then put it in gear and spin the drive pulley under the battery with your finger .
If the box is good the mower will move backwards and forwards in all gears.

After that it has to be the belt or clutch/brake pulleys.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Likely, as said, the parking brake is just stuck.
Get under and look, there is a brake rotor on the right side of the transmission, and a lever/etc that engages the brake that acts on it. With the parking brake off and the foot pedal up, and the trans in neutral, get on the ground and look at the transmission, and see how the pedal engages the brake assy.
Then just jiggle/wiggle the shi t out of the moving parts, and you will likely hear a "clunk".

Then see if the mower can be pushed forward/reverse.....

Shawn R.

Threads
Ok. Just let me say that the mower can be pushed. We'll check it out tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok. Just let me say that the mower can be pushed. We'll check it out tomorrow.

Well that rules out the brake so you are left with a clutch/belt problem or a busted box.
One down 2 to go.

The box will be easiest to check by spinning the pulley under the battery by hand, mower in gear & brake off.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that rules out the brake so you are left with a clutch/belt problem or a busted box.
One down 2 to go.

The box will be easiest to check by spinning the pulley under the battery by hand, mower in gear & brake off.

I once dated a girl with a busted box....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The transmission is under the seat and has no oil fill/check....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The transmission is under the seat and has no oil fill/check....

Quite right.
The battery in in a box under the seat.
Flip the seat
Remove the battery & box
put the mower in gear & spin the input pulley
Easy peasy, takes about 3 minutes or 10 if you check each gear.
Being on top of the mower you don't get run over by it unless you put a drill on the pulley nut with the mower in reverse.
No dipstick cause it is a 6 speed manual tranny & filled with grease