clutch pigtail question

joboy1937

Threads
25 hp kawa
ok I've got the mower back together and it starts and run fine But
I think I have a bad diode in the clutch pigtail. I ordered a new one by
Hustler part no. The pigtail I received had the wrong connection config on the switch side.
My question is
Where is the diode? Is it on the connection to the clutch on on the connection to the switch side??

If it is on the clutch connection I can just clip the wires and use the old switch side connection.

Thanks for all the help so far!!
Joboy

joboy1937

Threads
also if there is no diode in the pigtail I might just have a bad connection at the clutch.
I do have 12 volts at the old pigtail end and I also tested the clutch with 12 v from battery and a jumper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why do you think the diode is duff ?
How did you diagnose it ?
Generally one or both of the wires crack just inside the mounting point on the clutch.
This gives you a random go - no go situation

joboy1937

Threads
Bertsmobile1
Have no real reason to conclude that a diode is bad other than that I have 12 v at pigtail end and The clutch Reacts when I jump from battery to the clutch but the clutch will not engage it. It well may be a cracked wire . I think I will try splicing the old pigtail connector to the new one. The old connector looks a little ragged at the connection to the clutch. By the way-what is the function of the diode?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
John

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bertsmobile1
Have no real reason to conclude that a diode is bad other than that I have 12 v at pigtail end and The clutch Reacts when I jump from battery to the clutch but the clutch will not engage it. It well may be a cracked wire . I think I will try splicing the old pigtail connector to the new one. The old connector looks a little ragged at the connection to the clutch. By the way-what is the function of the diode?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
John

The diode which is usually inside the clutch housing prevents voltage feeding back into the wiring system and killing the magneto.
AFAIK all of them hae one but most wiring diagrams do not show it as it is part of the clutch, not part of the mower.

Most mowers control the clutch by SWITCHING THE GROUND CONTACT not the power wire.
The thinking is to reduce the total number of power wires that can short & start fires.
Nearly all of the wires in a mower loom are ground wires.
Have you checked the ground for continuity to the battery neg.
There is only one wire on a PTO switch that carried current and that is the cranking circuit.
All the others are ground wires
Remember a circuit is a loop and you need both a + & a - or nothing happens.

The most common electrical problem with clutches is damage to the contacts at or near the entry point.
There is a good video on the Taryl Fixes All U-Tube channel showing how to check for this and repair it.