Kawasaki FH601V Compression Question

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, turning the flywheel by hand wile watching the valves/rockers,
usually tells you a lot.

Look the the valve stems while the rocker arms are not touching them, also looks for leaking compression, whooshing out, lots of possibilities....

Looking is the best tool you have. Will save you a lot of time and money, usually....

Your own eyes are the best tool you have...

Pics let us other guys have a look as well.

Making guesses online with little info.....

Well, not much value.....

The main thing is to find out what the problem is without spending a lot of money...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should say that .
It was mardi-Gras here last night
However I definately was not there.
Leather undies chaff way too much and sequined undies prickle.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fat Tuesday is not for another few days??

Beau

Threads
You must be in Mobile.

Beau

Threads
So I checked the valve clearance and both sides were very tight, as in no clearance. Adjusted both sides to specs and tried turning the engine over. I've got it to pop on nearly every cycle but wouldn't take off on its own. So, I pulled the plugs again and still have good spark on both sides. However, looking at the plugs its clear the right cylinder is not firing. The left plug is clearly burning but the right plug is clean as a whistle and looks as brand new as when I put it in a couple of days ago. Both valves appear to be moving freely on both sides.

Attaching some images

Attachments

• right3.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • left.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • left1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • right.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • right1.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • right2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Beau

Threads
Also, in terms of noise I haven't heard anything that sounds un-normal (other than the lack of a running engine). When turning the flywheel I hear the typical whoosh and gurgle coming out of the carburetor and air pushing out of the spark plug holes when the plugs are pulled. Thats about it. Starting to think it may be electrical because of the lack of fire on the right cylinder.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you go any further I would whip out those guide plates clean them up & wack some paint on them.
I gather it gets a tad humid around your place with real cold nights & heavy dew.

SO some background might be good.
When did the engine last run ?
IS the loss of compression sudden or has it been getting harder to start for a while.
Also did you do the compression as per the manual.
You said you have worked on other engines so I hope that meas to rotated each cylinder to TDC compression before taking the readings & making the adjustments.

As for the plug, no colour is better than black.
If the engine is not running you will get no deposits on the plug.
If you have been cranking it for a while & it has not fired then the plug should be wet with fuel.
If not check the fuel cut off solenoid on the bottom of the carburettor.
If you get that much water in your rocker cavity chances are there is water in the solenoid & it has corroded closed.