help with 54" husky steering gear?

beachbumtroy

Threads
hey guys i just got a husky 54" tractor cheap because it had no steering,well it turns out the big steering gear(not little one on end of steering wheel shaft) is wore out, there are 2 nuts hold on the drag linx then there are 2 more bolts that hold the gear on,well i cant see anyway to get to the top of the bolts to hold with a wrench to take off? and 1 of the bolts the head is partially under the pto and dont see how to get that off ethier. and ive searched and searched to no avail for a free pdf repair manual can u help me find one or explain to me in GREAT DETAIL :) how to get that gear off? i thank u in advance for any and all help in this matter below is all the info of the mower thnx very much bb
husky supreme SGT5400 garden tractor
body model#14AP805K730
ser#10186H30016

eng spec#PS-SV720-0016
eng ser#3609713543 kohler 23 hp/725cc twin cylinder
54 inch triple blade auto trans hi/low range

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is like the ones that I have cussed over, you need to remove the seat and the bolts on the panel/wheelwells, to be able to get a wrench on the top bolt/nuts.
Otherwise you will waste a few hours of cussing, and trying things, untill you finally decide to do just that.

beachbumtroy

Threads
it is part#10 in the diagram 10

MTD 717-1550F (replaces 717-1550E)

Gear, Steering, 11/90 Ratio and fish, i dont believe u have to remove seat because i believe everything is under or by steering column under gas tank but it is #10 in the parts list let me kno thnx bb

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Gear, Steering, 11/90 Ratio and fish, i dont believe u have to remove seat because i believe everything is under or by steering column under gas tank but it is #10 in the parts list let me kno thnx bb

If your problem is getting a wrench on the top locknuts to remove the assembly, then yes, you will have to raise the fender/wheel well assy. and have to remove the seat to do this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are talking about nut part # 7 or the bolt part # 1 shown in the diagram that Gonzo posted, then it is accessed from under the fuel tank.
Removing the fuel tank will make it accessible using a 3/8 drive .
Being able to hang from the ceiling will also make it easier :laughing:
You will also need to replace the pivot bushes part 17 ( 2 of them ).
IT is very rare for the fan gear to be so worn that it requires replacement and the steering gear, part # 11 not to be worn excessively.
And the bush , part # 20.
I would replace 20 steering bushes for every steering gear.
And steering gears are always replaced as a set.

Due to the geometry of the steering system turning it one way pulls the gears together and the other way pushes them apart.
The usual complaint I get is "it turns left but won't turn right " or visa versa

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Be sure to get back to us...

beachbumtroy

Threads
this is why i need a manual lol.............but anyway fish i`am poitive of this,the bolts that hold on the big gear are under the gas tank and behind the dash,the seat is no where near the bolts or gear in question,i can see the bolts from underneath
the mower but cannot see the tops of ethier bolt,and dont laugh and im not saying i have to since i have no manual,but it almost looks like i have to remove engine and pto pully just to get to top of bolts and remember i cant see them just assuming
:( so untill i can get a repair manual or someone that has taken off the gear on this model to tell me how im stuck lol,im not pulling motor to do this.keep up the info and we`ll get this i hope? thnx bb

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
this is why i need a manual lol.............but anyway fish i`am poitive of this,the bolts that hold on the big gear are under the gas tank and behind the dash,the seat is no where near the bolts or gear in question,i can see the bolts from underneath
the mower but cannot see the tops of ethier bolt,and dont laugh and im not saying i have to since i have no manual,but it almost looks like i have to remove engine and pto pully just to get to top of bolts and remember i cant see them just assuming
:( so untill i can get a repair manual or someone that has taken off the gear on this model to tell me how im stuck lol,im not pulling motor to do this.keep up the info and we`ll get this i hope? thnx bb

If it is like the models I am familiar with, the rear wheel wells go from the seat and also include the footrests...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is like the models I am familiar with, the rear wheel wells go from the seat and also include the footrests...

It is a damn shame I cannot put up a pic/ipl of your mower!!