Engine 19HP twin only runs with choke 1/2 on

katbird

Threads
I have replaced air filter, plugs, checked gas and engine will still only run smoothly with choke 1/2 on
B&S 19HP
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd replace the fuel and start with fresh but it sounds like it's starving for fuel, so there's likely a restriction in the tank, the lines or most likely the carburetor.

helomech

Threads
Usually a dirty carb. Going to have to take it apart and clean the small orifices real good.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find the engine's model numbers and put them up.

cruzenmike

Threads
You could always remove the fuel line from the tank and start work clearing all of the lines and flushing the tank out. Then replace your fuel filter and get some fresh gas. At that point you can always move to the carb and work on a rebuild. Ethanol in our modern day gas does damage to the rubber parts in the carb. And even the smallest bit of contamination in the path of fuel flow can be problematic. If there is a fuel shutoff solenoid it could also be sticking somewhat but I would think that to be unlikely.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking at the model number is key to giving any sound advice.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
BTW, the last number/code, is the mfgr date of the engine.

helomech

Threads
Looking at the model number is key to giving any sound advice.

Not for this problem, it happens on every model of small engine. Boats, lawn mowers anything with a small 4 stroke engine. If you have to add choke, it is getting to much air for the fuel. That means that not enough fuel is getting through the carb, if the bowl is full of fuel than it is a clogged jet.