Engine 19HP twin only runs with choke 1/2 on

Threads
I have replaced air filter, plugs, checked gas and engine will still only run smoothly with choke 1/2 on
B&S 19HP
Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum Kat Bird ............ We all hate to see you here, but we would love to see you here WITHOUT an issue with your engine LOL....

Ok like a few people said, we do need the MODEL number and the TYPE would help also.... Those numbers are on the valve cover of the engine .... Most likely the right side as you are facing the mower from the front.....

Then what I want to know is which carb do you have ???? The small one or the wide style 2 Barrel ??? Maybe the small one on your 19 HP.... We can help more with the numbers .... I know both those carbs well and your carb needs a good cleaning IMHO......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes,
knowing what engine he has is "key" to giving him good advice.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
twin.jpgHere is what his carb looks like, and that plug toward the camera is the one he needs to remove to access, remove,
and clean the main jet. Most times that is all that you need to do to get going again.
After removing the jet, crank the engine a little and let the water and crud pulse out.

Then re-assemble.

I described this a little in post #7 of this thread.

helomech

Threads
View attachment 43020Here is what his carb looks like, and that plug toward the camera is the one he needs to remove to access, remove,
and clean the main jet. Most times that is all that you need to do to get going again.
After removing the jet, crank the engine a little and let the water and crud pulse out.

Then re-assemble.

I described this a little in post #7 of this thread.

Which is the same thing I would say to any small 4 stroke engine. He didn't ask how to take a carb apart, he asked what would fix it. Only if he asked how to clean his carb would the model of the engine matter. These are very simple carbs, no rocket science going on. Take the thing apart and clean everything while it is apart. Put back together and cut grass.

helomech

Threads
Yes,
knowing what engine he has is "key" to giving him good advice.

If so, than please explain to me what other advice would you give him for this problem on any other engine? I would give him the exact same answer no matter what 4 stroke gas engine he listed. Clean the jets, if the fuel bowl is full.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
If so, than please explain to me what other advice would you give him for this problem on any other engine? I would give him the exact same answer no matter what 4 stroke gas engine he listed. Clean the jets, if the fuel bowl is full.
Could you please chill out. Everyone has their own style of helping here. Taking on someone else's style isn't helpful.

helomech

Threads
Could you please chill out. Everyone has their own style of helping here. Taking on someone else's style isn't helpful.

I am chilled out. Trying to figure out why the model of engine makes a difference on this problem? Been working on things my whole life, and every small 2cycle or 4 cycle engine is the same for this. I can see why the model would matter if he asked how to take it apart and clean it, that was not the question. Anyways have a great day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Particular carbs and particular engines have known problems or know covers or plugs that either need to be removed to be cleaned properly or are best left alone because they are difficult to remove without damage or difficult to reseal and rarely need cleaning behind.
Some of the carbs used on the twins have inbuilt fuel pumps and the fuel pump is more prone to cause the problem described than the carb itself.
Some have removable jets that just push in or screw in while others have jets are fixed and attempts to remove the jet can damage them
Some have screw in jets that need to be removed with an exact close fitting screwdriver or you damage them.
Some venturi tubes have cross drillings that ned to be cleaned, some do not have cross drilings so do not need to be removed and some venturi tubes are cast in or sweated in and can not be removed without damage to them or to the carb.

Then you get to the seats.
Some are removable some are not.

So to give good specific advice and approprite warnings the engine number is needed.

Then you get differences in the understnding of what "cleaning" means.
Some will squirt some throttle & body cleaner down the venturi and consider the carb cleaned
Others will no consider anything clean unless it was fully dissasembled and boiled in an ultrasonic cleaner for hours.

When the thread is read at a latter date by some one who is not sure of what they are doing , it helps them to decide if this is the correct thing for their engine or not.
Thousands of people simply search the site for possible solutions to their problems and never ever post.

Most question could be answered with the single annogram; RTFM but that is not much use to the poster with the problem.
Also model numbers help the techs who oft skim through the forum and occasionally give the correct answer to the wrong question.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If one is to help someone clean the jet, he has to know where the jet is......