Engine 19HP twin only runs with choke 1/2 on

helomech

Threads
NOPE .. NOT AT ALL ! I too was an an aviation mech U.S.A.F. Jet Eng Mech ( AFSC 43270 ) ( 66-70) B52s & EC-RC 135s , after military on & off for about another 15 years C-130 Hercules (covert transports), Lear-Jet and several others, I was taught to use a manual at all times, ( it was enforced ) to this day, if there's a manual for it, I use it, (including the wifeys carpet shampooer & Micro-wave) it's a proven fact that being complacent, will SOMETIMES lead to undesirable results. ....Just my thoughts ..

Cool thanks. I started in the Army working on the AH-64 apache got out in 1996 and then worked fixed wing at a small place for about a year. Then hired on with Bristow (actually back then it was Air Log) in 1997. Been there ever since. Worked on so many different types of planes and helicopters that I can't keep track. Some of the crazy torque sequences now you have to use the manual. It literally takes about 6 hours to torque 8 bolts on the main and tail rotor of the AW-139. It sucks.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cool thanks. I started in the Army working on the AH-64 apache got out in 1996 and then worked fixed wing at a small place for about a year. Then hired on with Bristow (actually back then it was Air Log) in 1997. Been there ever since. Worked on so many different types of planes and helicopters that I can't keep track. Some of the crazy torque sequences now you have to use the manual. It literally takes about 6 hours to torque 8 bolts on the main and tail rotor of the AW-139. It sucks.

I loved workin on the "birds", only problem with them, is they cram 10 Lbs of schitt into a 5Lb. bag, .. :laughing:..:laughing: everything is SOoooo tight for aerodynamics, as you most likely know, sometimes you had to remove other components to gain access to the item you need to repair/replace ARrrgghhhh !!.. :thumbsup:

helomech

Threads
I loved workin on the "birds", only problem with them, is they cram 10 Lbs of schitt into a 5Lb. bag, .. :laughing:..:laughing: everything is SOoooo tight for aerodynamics, as you most likely know, sometimes you had to remove other components to gain access to the item you need to repair/replace ARrrgghhhh !!.. :thumbsup:

Yes, you should see the ones with floats on them. All of ours are equipped with emergency floatation. Packing those things in is a real PITA.

Here is one of the ones I take care of right now. This is a S-92, the other is a AW-139, and a S-76 C++.

17796347-10202997171166477-2716998533562243210-n.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, you should see the ones with floats on them. All of ours are equipped with emergency floatation. Packing those things in is a real PITA.

Here is one of the ones I take care of right now. This is a S-92, the other is a AW-139, and a S-76 C++.

View attachment 43023

I feel your frustration, and I don't miss that part of the job, GLAD to B retired, hope U don't have long to go for yours .. :thumbsup:

helomech

Threads
I feel your frustration, and I don't miss that part of the job, GLAD to B retired, hope U don't have long to go for yours .. :thumbsup:

17.5 years. Wrapping it up at 62.5.

Pumper54

Threads
Sometimes as someone pointed out way back in the thread that an air leak in the manifold, carb to manifold or manifold to head mounting MAY cause the same issues. Glad everyone now sees how each of us deal with the same problem, seems a lot of folks say the same thing but use different words.

Question for the helo mechanics in the crowd: what is the torque specs on the "Jesus Nut" for most birds? :smile:
Tom

helomech

Threads
Sometimes as someone pointed out way back in the thread that an air leak in the manifold, carb to manifold or manifold to head mounting MAY cause the same issues. Glad everyone now sees how each of us deal with the same problem, seems a lot of folks say the same thing but use different words.

Question for the helo mechanics in the crowd: what is the torque specs on the "Jesus Nut" for most birds? :smile:
Tom

The bell 206 series has a single nut, and I think it is around 300ft/lbs, the bell 407 has a single nut and it is somewhere around 800 ft/lbs. Most of the others have a large nut that is not really torqued, just hand tight, then 12 or so other smaller bolts are put on it and tightened up. This process of torqueing these small bolts can take 8 or more hours. You have to start at a low torque, torque till they stabilize then move up to the next torque. At certain stages you take measurements to see if you are in specs.

This is the main rotor head of a AW-139.

20180315-130111.jpg

Here is the procedure.
20180315-130239.jpg